Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #11 
meinsk

I'm going to start the Triple Sulfa treatment in the morning but have a couple questions:
(1) If I dissolve a package in 10 tsp water and use only 2.5 tsp for my tank, can I then save the rest of the reconstituted triple sulfa for the next dose, or should I make up a fresh packet?
(2) How do I get started - do I need to start with 100% water change before the first dose?
(3) Here's my understanding of the instructions (is this right?):
- Day 1: Add correct dose to the tank
- Day 2: Don't do any water change and add another dose to the tank
- Day 3: Do a 25% water change ad add another dose to the tank
- Day 4: Don't do any water change and add another dose to the tank
- Day 5: Do a 25% water change and use charcoal filter to remove the rest of the medication from the water (alternatively - can I just do a 100% water change on day 5?)
(4) Do I continue to use AQ salt throughout this whole process (1 tsp/gallon)?

Thanks for the help!
meinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #12 
callistra

It's not safe to dry cut ingredients.

You need to dissolve the packet in 10 parts of treated/tank water.. cups.. tablespoons.. doesn't matter. But then it's important to take 2.5 parts (the size of the container you are treating in) of the mixture into the tank.. so cups.. tablespoons.. again just use the same measurement. You need to mix this up with a fresh packet daily. You can't just save the mixture and reuse it the next day.

If you need to switch from AQ to Triple Sulfa, I would still do 50% changes and 100% by dose 4
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #13 
meinsk

Just wanted to say thank you to Demysta and Callistra for the diagnosis and help with treatment. Optimus is like a whole new fish!! He really perked up when I added the AQ salt and has been swimming all over the tank looking very happy. He's been very curious, just like a betta should be, is loving his food and is not sitting on the bottom anymore. Today he caught sight of his reflection in the tank's back wall and was flaring like crazy - I covered up his tank to calm him down and think I will have to tape black construction to the outside back wall of the tank so that it's not so reflective. He still has some white patches so I am doing the triple sulfa treatment now, but he otherwise seems like he's doing great. Thanks again for your help!
meinsk is offline   Reply With Quote