Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #51 
jeffegg2

Cool

Oldie but goodie!

I have nothing against regular ole veil tails or delta tails from the pet store. If I was a young kid with a small allowance then perhaps I would breed them and see what I could come up with.

But since I can get what I want, I am using at least what I consider sellable breeding stock.

My thoughts now are on finding/making half moon big ear dragons. Perhaps back crossing to partial giants for size?

Just my dream.....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #52 
bettalover2000

I have 2 petstore VTs that I've had for about a year. When I breed them it will be mainly for experience, not for fry count or profit. Seriously I will cull to about 5 fry. I do hope to breed quality bettas and sell them & produce a quality line of breeders.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #53 
Mo

Bettalover. The possibility of the VT's breeding is very small. They usually don't breed as they get older. I would assume the fish are around 18 months old
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #54 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post
I have 2 petstore VTs that I've had for about a year. When I breed them it will be mainly for experience, not for fry count or profit. Seriously I will cull to about 5 fry. I do hope to breed quality bettas and sell them & produce a quality line of breeders.
Instead of culling, you can always just pull the female after a few eggs drop. Much kinder to the fish....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #55 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Jeff.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #56 
phikhanhs
Banned

I see it .. I m trying to breed pet store betta but failed sigh
phikhanhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #57 
louisvillelady

I don't know why we don't just make the halfmoons and plakats more available. I'm amazed at how many pet store managers have no clue about plakats or halfmoons or even deltas.

I have made a deal with the two pet stores that I sell to, to set up a display tank of a soroity tanks. I am currently working on getting breeders that I can get a wide variety of colors. I'm hoping to maybe get as many examples of colors and tail types, excluding the veil tails, cause we have enough of those already in stores (don't start an arguement over that statement please) to place in these display tanks. Hoping to get more females and more knowledge about these fish into the general public. I am also planing to enter a tank into the state fair this august. If I time it right, all of this will take place around the same time. People will see the tank at the fair, and maybe head to the petstore and be able to set one up themselves. This will create a better market for these fish, and hopefully encourage pet stores to try the other tail types. If we can offer the other types for a cheaper price, I think they would be just as popular. I think they would fair better also in those tiny cups.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #58 
Jayloo

I feel like this is a hobby. Not a way of life. And if I see a pet store betta that I feel would be an interesting breed them I will do it. Although there are 5 pet stores in my area- 3 of which would buy juvies at a decent price and also if they don't have the money they offer store credit which is almost more preferable anyway...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #59 
trilobite

I breed petstore Bettas. If I see one with good form I will breed it no matter where it came from. Infact the petstore Bettas here are often better than ones bred in this country haha
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote