Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #771 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
JBonez; I have a 10 gal. Feel free to design it for me. xD I want live plants, but I don't want to not be able to see my fish. xP I also plan on making caves from PVC... the ones I've seen that other people made look awesome.

Would a 10 gal only be big enough for 2 males? Or could I divide it for 3?
a 10 would be plenty for 2-3 I divide mine for 4, but that's in a fully cycled established heavily planted tank. If the tank is new, I'd say 3!8: a good amount, eventually, if you really want to divide it for 4, make sure you keep an eye on parameters. 2.5 gallons is what you'd get dividing it 4 ways, but 2.5 gallons/betta is still recommended to be a 1 50% + 1 100% change per week, if you are fully cycled you could get away with 2-50%'s and if you are cycled and well planted you could do 1-50%/week... It all depends on the amount of time your willing to spend on water changes and how much space you are able and willing to give per fish. ---IMO, some people will say 3 max.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #772 
Dene

Awesome, thank you!

I'm very worried about Cae. D; He has clamped fins, badly IMO. D; I posted on the disease/emergency thread. =/
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #773 
aemaki09

Do you have a heater in there with him? Have you checked te ammonia level since he clamped up? Could be either of those, or he could just be stressed from something
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #774 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
JBonez; I have a 10 gal. Feel free to design it for me. xD I want live plants, but I don't want to not be able to see my fish. xP I also plan on making caves from PVC... the ones I've seen that other people made look awesome.

Would a 10 gal only be big enough for 2 males? Or could I divide it for 3?
Lol woot! What's your "theme"? I kinda went for a "tripping out" theme with mine. I need more red plants and stuff to make it more colorful, and possibly a black light to swap out from time to time, and then it will be even trippier lol.

The PVC caves sound awesome! I know some people have advised against metal in the tank, although I'm not 100% why. They even say to take it out of silk plants, so I don't think it's fear of ingestion. So I would def do my research before putting it in. The good news is that PVC isn't coated or anything, so I can't see what the problem might be, but a more advanced betta owner might be able to tell us why.

A 10g is plenty for 3 or 4 males or females. As long as your filtration and whatnot is good, they'll be fine. =]
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #775 
TwilightNite

Okay this is my little girl Opal, I got her June 2011 before my Petco were selling "Baby Bettas" but she was really itty bitty she was at least less than half the size of an an adult female (not including the adult's fins) and just has to pick the sweet little thing up!

This was her the week I got her.

And here she is now!

The little girl grew like crazy! ^_^
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #776 
JBonez423

Love the coloring! She's gorgeous! ^.^
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #777 
TwilightNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
Love the coloring! She's gorgeous! ^.^

Thank you so much!
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #778 
JBonez423

Oh my gawsh, you guise! Guess who has more baby betta pictures..! =3 This girl right here. Everyone is settling in GREAT! I'm loving the tank set up and everyone who comes over says it looks great. My room is now a sanctuary as opposed to just a room... I actually get paid to live with and look after my grandma, who has Alzheimer's, so these guys have been a great source of stress relief for me!

Anyway! Baby picturesssss! ^.^

Name:  DSCN2218.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  49.8 KB

Marley!

Jagger! Forgive the blurriness. Fish are hard to photograph! But they come out so nice.

Name:  DSCN2222.jpg
Size:  34.5 KB
Name:  DSCN2223.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  40.3 KB

Floyd's color is really starting to pop! Anyone else think he's really starting to look like a male? He always flares at Marley, but Marley seems more curious than aggressive. Sometimes they flare for awhile, race each other and then start "dancing". It's adorable. They almost seem pleased that they're tank mates. Very odd.

Name:  DSCN2231.jpg
Size:  53.9 KB

"BRO, DO YOU EVEN FLARE?!?"

So! This is my estimate on ages, and the internet is backing me up so far; I think they were all 5 weeks when I got them, Floyd is now 10 weeks, Marley is now almost 6 weeks and Jagger is 5/6 weeks. Someone had said they the petco babies are not really baby bettas, they're only stunted or female bettas... I really don't believe this is true. I genuinely believe these breeders probably overbreed, take a net-ful of babies and cup and sell. But they seem to be hardier than the adults! I almost think this is because they spend less time in a cup than the adults, since the adults probably aren't well housed even with the breeders. My babies had a much easier time adjusting than the adult male crowntail I bought my grandma seems to be.

But then, who knows. Maybe I just got lucky. I certainly feel it. =]

Name:  DSCN2232.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Last edited by JBonez423; 03-16-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #779 
ao
TFK Moderator

I said they're stunted during shipping and housing in petco... due to lack of food and warm water. never said they are stunted female bettas.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #780 
JBonez423

I don't think it was specifically you I was talking about. I actually heard it from a few different people on different threads and websites. Didn't mean to single anyone out.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta