Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #11 
callistra

You have a good point. Well you have a few options I guess..

You could remove the heater and try to keep her as warm as possible by placing her in the warmest room of the house and wrapping blankets around her. It's not ideal, but it's better than a toxic heater and it's your cheapest option. If you do let her cool off make sure to acclimate very slowly to the new heater's higher temps.

You could buy a digital space heater at Walmart.. you set the temp to about 82 or so and leave her in a small heated room.. unused bathroom, bedroom etc. When the new heater comes you can return the space heater for a full refund.

You got your LFS and get a temporary, although not perfect heater until the adjustable one comes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #12 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You have a good point. Well you have a few options I guess..

You could remove the heater and try to keep her as warm as possible by placing her in the warmest room of the house and wrapping blankets around her. It's not ideal, but it's better than a toxic heater and it's your cheapest option. If you do let her cool off make sure to acclimate very slowly to the new heater's higher temps.

You could buy a digital space heater at Walmart.. you set the temp to about 82 or so and leave her in a small heated room.. unused bathroom, bedroom etc. When the new heater comes you can return the space heater for a full refund.

You got your LFS and get a temporary, although not perfect heater until the adjustable one comes.
Our house is like an ice box! Half of it doesn't heat and is freezing, even with a space heater. My LFS only has Tetra heaters, unless I want to spend about $30+ on one. I don't think putting her in a warm room would work, since the house is so cold. My room is the warmest and it's still cold in there. :(

Do you think, maybe, I could keep the heater running and just keep doing water changes until it stops? That's what I did with Patriot's. I could float her in her cup inside the tank so she can stay warm but be out of the nasty water until it stops.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #13 
callistra

The cup floating is a good idea but I actually wouldn't do anything less than 1g.. you could get a 2g critter keeper and fill it half full. In a cup you would ideally do at least 4 100% changes a day because in 24 hours you could get as much a 4ppm ammonia, so even doing this much changes she could still see as much as .5ppm, but hopefully it won't get that high.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #14 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
The cup floating is a good idea but I actually wouldn't do anything less than 1g.. you could get a 2g critter keeper and fill it half full. In a cup you would ideally do at least 4 100% changes a day because in 24 hours you could get as much a 4ppm ammonia, so even doing this much changes she could still see as much as .5ppm, but hopefully it won't get that high.
I do have a few other things I could put her in so she can float. Do you think that would work? Let her float until it stops smelling like Patriot's did? Then it would be okay to keep the heater until I can afford to buy something better?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #15 
callistra

I wouldn't float in under 1g, because then half full would be half gallon would be okay short time with 100% daily changes.

I would not put her in the tank with that heater, period, but that's your call..
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #16 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
I wouldn't float in under 1g, because then half full would be half gallon would be okay short time with 100% daily changes.

I would not put her in the tank with that heater, period, but that's your call..
I just did a 100% change and scrubbed EVERYTHING in hot and cold water and let everything sit in the hot water for a while. Nothing smells like rubber, and the water in the tank didn't, so I'm hoping it'll be done. She is perking up a little though. She isn't as clamped anymore, but that may just be because I have her floating in her cup now to acclimate to the water. I think I'll give her one more day and see if she improves at all, and if not, I'll take the heater back and order the other one. Patriot's heater is doing fine and stopped smelling after a few days, so hopefully hers will be okay too. I'll keep you updated.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #17 
bettacrazygirl86

UPDATE:

She's no longer clamped and mopey! She doesn't hide in one spot anymore, and I've been seeing her swim around a lot more. The heater no longer smells, either.

However, she hasn't been eating. I don't know if it's just that she doesn't know the food is there, or what. How do I get her to notice the food? I've tried dropping it in front of her, and tapping the top of the water to get her attention, but she doesn't seem to notice. My male, Patriot, eats just fine and all I have to do is tap the surface enough to disturb it and he swims over. I don't know what to do. She hasn't eaten in the last two days.