Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #1 
syds mom

Bookshelf aquarium headache

Well, today it arrived. I have been wanting to try this but was hesitant about the reviews so anyway I decided to go with it.
I got it out of the box and it looked amazing! No scratches YEA!!! No cracks! YEA!!! Everything seemed perfect, Lid wasnt broken and light bar looked good also. Filter was decent looking. Plugged the light in just to make sure it would work and sure enough it did.
Now Im thinking maybe before I set this up I should test the filter but oh well shouldnt be a problem. So I rinsed everything and started sitting it up. Substrate went in and I proceded to start filling with water. Checked for leaks and everything was good to go. Left a couple inches just so I could start putting plants and deco in it. Next I put heater in, hung filter on back and put water in it and plugged it in. Started off just fine so I put lid on and light bar on just to see what it looked like and the light wouldnt come on this time. Just my luck!!! Went out of the room to get husband to come and see if he knew what was the problem because I had already tried it and it worked the first time. As I came back in the room with him this is when I liked to cried. Water was everywhere. The O-ring between the rotor and power unit was missing. Water was leaking out of the filter and running on floor.After getting water up from floor I was so mad at myself for not checking it before hand. Anyway got a 0 ring and now works good. As for lights, the starter was loose.
Lesson learned-----Check everything before sitting up tank, dont assume!!!
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Oh dear, don't you just hate it when this like this go wrong! Don't worry believe me when I say I know the feeling!!!!! I am glad it all worked out for you in the end
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #3 
kyle89

I had a similar kind of problem. Went out to buy a starter kit aquarium for my girlfriend and i. I opened it in the store and looked at the filter and everything else that was in the box except one thing. Drive all they way home and get everything ready to set it up. I pull the aquarium out of the box and the whole back and side pane of glass are cracked and busted. Back to the store lol
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #4 
veggiegirl

Had a barrack tank custom made, person making it decided to skimp on glass and used too thin glass. Had it all set up and running fish in and all for about a week when I notice the back panel was Boeing way out and in serious danger of cracking.

Had to dismantle the whole thing (4ft long) and take it back and wait for the back panel to be replaced with thicker glass, it sucked trying to find somewhere to put all of my fish while it was being repaired plus a major let down after I just set it all up with plants and everything
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by syds mom View Post
Started off just fine so I put lid on and light bar on just to see what it looked like and the light wouldnt come on this time. Just my luck!!! Went out of the room to get husband to come and see if he knew what was the problem because I had already tried it and it worked the first time. .... As for lights, the starter was loose.
My light bar was also defective. It's a nice tank but only if everything works right. Apparently it often doesn't
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

I also had that problem! I was all excited to get my bookshelf tank, hooked it all up had it all ready for my fish (didnt check the filter) started her up and water everywhere! The filter did the same thing and I had to buy a different filter...cost me an extra $30 :( ...I was very disapointed. The tank itself though was beautiful.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #7 
syds mom

Well today, I went to turn light on and nothing! Finally after giggling it, it came on. After a couple hours it got pretty hot on top so I shut it off and called Petco. I am afraid to use it. Anyway they are suppost to send me a replacement light bar. Ive never dealt with Petco before so Im just hoping they will take care of this.And yes the tank is a beautiful tank.

Seems like Im not the only one here that has bad luck with tanks. Ive never bought a broken one yet but now I have taken down a 10 gallon out of the fish room and hit the corner of a 29 gallon before. Let me tell you, Ive never seen water spray out like this one did. I was grabbing fish out as quick as I could before water drained all the way out. It hit it right at the bottom so I had to hurry. No fish died but I was sure Id loose some. I was literally throwing them in buckets. I was thankful that under the linoleum in fish room was concreted and not hardwood or carpet. 29 gallons is a lot of water!!! The 10 gallon was completely unharmed. Go figure.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote