Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #11 
TheOnlyCanvas

Thanks! I'll be sure to look for that when I go today. I've heard a lot about Prime as a water conditioner, for once I take him off of the stress coat. Mine has pretty much run out with the week of daily water changes. Do you guys use it?

I never had too much of an issue with excess food - he gobbles up as much as he can get. He gets so excited when he sees it coming that he actually jumps to try and grab it off of the spoon. He always misses

Update: I moved him to the larger 2.5 gallon last night and took him off of the salt. I have never seen him so happy! He was always an active little fish, but now that he's got the new space he's practically dancing. His dorsal fin has uncurled slightly (maybe it was partly because he was cramped? he's gotten pretty big), though the rot is clearly still there and is easier to see with his fin more open. At least it hasn't gotten worse.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #12 
TheOnlyCanvas

Unhappy

I hate to open up this thread again, but I don't want to start a new one as it concerns the same issues with the same fish.
Arthur was doing great, the rot seemed to go away and his anal fin and tail have almost completely healed. I switched him from Stress Coat to Prime last week. That was when he started getting really hyper and bored. He spent over 24 hours glass surfing, swimming in the same circle non stop. I figured he was bored, re-arranged the inside of his tank and the stuff outside, and he settled down.

Then this morning I went to feed him and he had torn up his dorsal fin. It looks like he even broke some of the rays. There were pieces of it sitting on the leaves of his silk plant. It also looks kind of blackened, like it was burned or something, but I don't see how that's possible. And I doubt that fin rot could overtake the frayed ends within a matter of hours... could it?

I then noticed that the hole in his dorsal (that had shown signs of rot before) had gotten a bit larger, and now has a whitish outline that looks like it is a bit raised. I can't tell if it's fuzzy or not - he's so hyper that he won't sit still long enough for me to look.

I've switched him back to Stress Coat in the hope that that will help. I have some IAL on the way (won't be here for at least another week though). Is there anything else I can do for him?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #13 
callistra

Can you share photos?

Please provide more info: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Does the tank have a top? I'd start by doing a couple of 50% water changes followed by a 100% change and add back stress coat, as a start.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #14 
TheOnlyCanvas

I took the best pictures I could. The first shows the damaged fin - you can see the bare rays. They're dark, but I think it might just be his coloring now. The second two show the hole in his dorsal. Yes, his tank has a lid with a light. He's in the Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5, if you're familiar with it at all.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No (his filter started these fin issues! I got rid of it a long time ago)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets, twice a day (total 6 pellets a day)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner (was Prime, switched him back to Stress Coat+ today)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not tested my water.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin damage, hole in dorsal w/ possible fin rot
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's become much more active, glass surfs on occasion, and has been spending more time flaring at random objects around his tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He had damage before, I treated him with AQ salt and Stress Coat. His fins healed. This week he began to act more hyper, then this morning he had torn up his dorsal
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing beyond the regularly scheduled 100% change for today using Stress Coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? See the rest of this thread - it details it quite well
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him nearly two months - got him at PetCo, so not sure how old he is... probably 6 months to a year?
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #15 
callistra

Have you tested everything in the tank with a pair of women's panty hose? You would remove any plants and ornaments and drag a pair of hose, over and through everything. If it catches, it's too rough.

Are there actually any gray or black edges to his fins? I can't tell but it doesn't look too bad yet
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #16 
TheOnlyCanvas

I have tested everything, it seems to be fine. And this time I can tell that he's definitely doing it to himself.

It's not too bad, it's really just that hole on his fin. It's bigger than it was (I had assumed it was healing because the rest of the affected spots healed - so the fact that it's bigger worried me) and there are grayish/discolored edges to it. I'm just worried because it's gotten worse, and he's had some problems with that same spot in the past. Not to mention his odd behavior.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #17 
callistra

What color is his poop? Sometimes bettas bite from internal parasite infections.

As far as stopping biting.. it depends on what is causing it. However, I have never seen biting cause graying fins.. this is an infection, sorry to say. Since salt failed, imho it's time for antibiotics. But also vitachem at 1 drop per gallon will help with the regrowth as well. I'd continue stress coat too. You don't need to switch to it.. you can use prime and stress coat as each serve their own separate purpose.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #18 
TheOnlyCanvas

His poop is light brown, pretty normal I think. The hole itself is not from biting. I think it developed when his dorsal was curled up a few weeks ago.

I'm leery of medications :/ What would you recommend?

Also, if I combine Prime and Stress Coat, would I reduce the amount of each?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #19 
callistra

Nah, full dose of each of Prime and Stress Coat is fine. Ingredients are different and don't conflict.

Well I use Kanaplex for fin rot, but my understanding is most people can't find it. A lot of people do Maracyn 1 and 2 in combo and its' easy to find because Walmart carries it usually. API meds that are good are Triple Sulfa. Also Maracyn Plus is easily found it seems. I always treat a minimum of one full week but treating for two if you're not completely in the clear with real regrowth at that point won't hurt. The problem with stopping early is it always seems to come back and then it's not as effective the second time because what's left of the infection is the stubborn strains.

Tags
fin curling&holes, fin rot, fin rot betta tail biting