Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

How to use airline to drain 2 gallon?

I have three 2 gallon tanks they are basically really huge jars:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...h-Lid/16486707

So you don't think I am being mean for housing them there they are there for quarantine (and later will be hospital tanks) until I set up a 20 gallon divided in a month. The fish are heated and filtered. I gather airline is the best way to drain them. Is there a trick to to this?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #2 
shellieca

You just have to to start the flow which can be difficult for some people.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #3 
Myates

Nothing wrong with 2 gallons.. I house over a dozen in .33 - .66 gallons just fine.

Just suck on one end of the tube until you see the water start to flow through the tube.. then stick that end into a bucket that is lower than the tank. Can use something a bit bigger than airline tubing for a tank that size.. especially if you have substrate. But not needed - I used airline tubing to clean out 10g fry tanks with no trouble.

If you don't want to suck to get the suction started, then fill up the tubing with water (slow run from a faucet), place a finger on both ends.. with your finger still on the ends, place one end into the tank, the other move to below the tank over a bucket and release both fingers at the same time. Let gravity do the work.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #4 
sainthogan

That's what I use to clean my tanks. Put the bucket you are draining into on the floor or lower than the tanks. Put one end of the tube into the tank and slightly suck on the other end and place it into the bucket. If no water comes out, slightly suck on it again. Gravity and suction will do the rest, pull the tube out of the tank when you've reached the amount of water you want to take out.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I never could bring myself to suck on the end of the tube since I was almost sure to get a mouthful of aquarium water...(because I'm dense like that apparently...) ;) So I found that you can take a turkey baster and and do the same thing, and you don't get a mouth full of yuck.
Just squeeze the bulb end of the turkey baster so that the air is out, holding it squeezed, attach the end to the end of your tubing, put it into the tank, and then let go of the bulb. The bulb will then fill with air/water and get your suction started. :) You may have to do it a time or two, but it works well for me. :)

Also, you can use airline tubing, or you can go to a hardware or homestore and pick up pool tubing. I have no idea what you do with it for a pool, but it's just thicker/wider diameter airline-type tubing, so you can get more suction going faster. :)

I hope that helps!! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

And don't feel bad about your jars! They work perfectly for holding (like you're doing now) and as hospital tanks. :) Three of my current guys lived in something very similiar for the first couple of months until I could get their tanks cycled and ready for habitation. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote