Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Tankmates?

This fall, I'm going off to college. I'm able to take my fish with me, in a 10 gallon heated, filtered, and planted tank. I'm going to get some craft mesh and stuff to divide it with and put my full grown male VT and my little female PK in it. I'm going to use gravel as my substrate and I plan to get a lot of beginner/low-moderate light plants.

I want to know what tankmates would be beneficial to my tank. Would it be better and easier on me not to have any tank mates, or would some cories, otos, shrimp, or snails be a good idea? I don't really want to get any tetras. I want bottom feeders or fish that could benefit the tank.

When listing the fish I could potentially have, please list the pros and cons of having them and how many I could put in a divided 10 gallon. I'd like to be able to put an equal amount on each side of the divider.

Thanks in advance!
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

In a divided tank you are essentially limited to inverts rather than fish. It's not about the bioload, but about the footprint space that other fish need to swim in. Divided, the tank just won't give them the room they need.

I'd go with a nerite snail for each side (mostly because I can't get nerites here I want vicarious snail fun) and a small colony of RCS - 8 or so per side. :) Then they can make little shrimp babies, which are adorable.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
In a divided tank you are essentially limited to inverts rather than fish. It's not about the bioload, but about the footprint space that other fish need to swim in. Divided, the tank just won't give them the room they need.

I'd go with a nerite snail for each side (mostly because I can't get nerites here I want vicarious snail fun) and a small colony of RCS - 8 or so per side. :) Then they can make little shrimp babies, which are adorable.
Hopefully my LFS has them. My Petsmart doesn't have RCS or snails, I don't think... I know my LFS has ghost shrimp, 6 for $1...
Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

That's insane! They'd definitely work too. :) I just have a preference for RCS. :p
Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
That's insane! They'd definitely work too. :) I just have a preference for RCS. :p
They do look nice, but I don't think my Petsmart or LFS has them. :( I'll look though, 'cause it would be nice to have some color running around, and to also be able to see them, since the ghost shrimp are like, impossible to spot unless you're really looking for them.

If I went with the ghost shrimp, do you think 12 would be too much? I'd rather spend $2 on 12 shrimp and put 6 in each side rather than just put three in each side and have them be lonely and nommed on again. :( Tina thought the shrimp I had in her KK was a snack.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

I don't see a problem with 12 at all. I have about 50 in my 16 gallon, at last (very rough) count.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #7 
Rosalina

Corydoras need lots of room, a full 10gal. They are very active and like to be in groups so I would steer clear of them.

Snails from my experience have done badly with me. For some reason my betta has a thing against snails. They also create a lot of waste. But eat algae, if you have it.

Shrimps are pretty good, don't need too much room, but can easily become snacks for bettas. I would try to pick up ghosts, but from my understanding they arn't as 'hardy' as cherrys shrimps, but cherry shrimps are bright and are easily spotted by the betta.

I would suggest African Dwarf Frogs, they only need a bit of room. However, if you have hiding spots, they will hide, any you will barely see them. They also need food placed right infront of them because they are nearly blind. But, they are freaking adorable and kick up for air on the surface.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #8 
Crowntails

I have 6 Pygmy cories in my 5.5 gallon tank and could get more, but I am not. They are only .75 of an inch and won't grow much more!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
I don't see a problem with 12 at all. I have about 50 in my 16 gallon, at last (very rough) count.
Wow! That's a lot! I'm glad they're so cheap. I'll probably just get 12 of them, then, unless I can find the cherry shrimp. I'd rather have them to add some color, but if they're more money, I'll probably just go with the ghosts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalina View Post
Corydoras need lots of room, a full 10gal. They are very active and like to be in groups so I would steer clear of them.

Snails from my experience have done badly with me. For some reason my betta has a thing against snails. They also create a lot of waste. But eat algae, if you have it.

Shrimps are pretty good, don't need too much room, but can easily become snacks for bettas. I would try to pick up ghosts, but from my understanding they arn't as 'hardy' as cherrys shrimps, but cherry shrimps are bright and are easily spotted by the betta.

I would suggest African Dwarf Frogs, they only need a bit of room. However, if you have hiding spots, they will hide, any you will barely see them. They also need food placed right infront of them because they are nearly blind. But, they are freaking adorable and kick up for air on the surface.
I probably won't get any frogs, just because I've never had any experience with them. I've had shrimp and otos before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
I have 6 Pygmy cories in my 5.5 gallon tank and could get more, but I am not. They are only .75 of an inch and won't grow much more!
If I could find them, do you think it would be alright to get 10 and put 5 in each half? I haven't been able to find ANY cories, other than panda, peppered, and albino.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Even pygmy cories prefer having room to zoom around. A divided 10 gallon doesn't really give them that. I don't think it's right to keep them in less than a full 10. Possible, sure. Optimum? Not so much.