Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #11 
Snoeflayke

How are the girls doing now? Any improvement in Tuna's fins?

Also, hello from a fellow vet tech, also pretty clueless about fish until I joined here!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #12 
samwise0311

Well, I haven't yet had the chance to buy a separate container for Tuna, but just since putting the divider in the small tank I have and taking out the filter, her fins have started to heal, and the redness is fading away, so I really do think veggiegirl was right. She looks much better, but she's still not eating, which is disappointing. Maybe she'll start eating again once she's in her own container, which I will be picking up tomorrow :) And that's great you're a vet tech too! They don't tech us much about fish in the field, or in classes, if you've taken them. I'm finishing up my A.S. degree in vet technology right now, and there hasn't been a single mention of fish. I do plan to continue onto vet school eventually, and when I do, I may try to seek out some classes related to fish. I'd like to actually know more about them!
samwise0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #13 
Snoeflayke

No, they really don't teach much... We did a unit on them at one point, but that was about it. I've been trying to find my old books to see if I maybe skipped some extra info.

I'm glad she's doing better! It may take her a little bit to start eating again, so don't get discouraged! Keep offering food, but remember to take it out if she doesn't eat it!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #14 
veggiegirl

That is great to hear that Tunas fins are beginning to heal already! Can she still see the other female betta through the division? If so she may not be eating because she feels threatened at having the other female so close to her causing her stress.

If you had some coloured clean plastic (like maybe an icecream container lid) or even some of the picture backing plastic that you can put behind the back of your tank you could cut a piece the same size as the division and slip it into the tank next to the division so that they can no longer see eachother. Just an idea, keep us posted on how she is going
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #15 
samwise0311

So, I went and I got a super nice 5 gallon aquarium set that came with a filter and LED lighting in the hood. I had to purchase a heater separately, and the place I went didn't have any dividers, so I'll have to go get one another day this week. I was shocked today, I came home and I went to go look at the fish before setting up the new aquarium, and right after I opened the cover, Tuna literally jumped out of the water, over the divider into the other side with Lisa, who immediately attacked Tuna. It was crazy! I ran and got the net and put Tuna back on her side. As soon as the new tank that I just got all set up is ready and has been at a steady 78 degrees for a few hours, I'll move just Tuna over to the 5 gallon, and keep Lisa in the 1 gallon until I can get a divider for the 5 gallon tank. I bought two little sticky thermometers for the outside of both tanks, and the 1 gallon tank they are both in right now is sitting at 74 degrees. I'll be turning on the heater in the new aquarium in just a few moments. Directions set to let it sit in there for 20 minutes to adapt to the water temp before turning it on. Am I missing anything? Oh, and I treated all the water, bought a little log decoration with silk plants on it that Tuna can use as a hiding place. I'll buy another one for the other side when the tank is divided :) I noticed today that Tuna has developed some white streaks on her body all of the sudden that weren't there before. It's actually a bit worrisome. Her color has changed pretty drastically. Oh, and I also bought testing strips so I can keep track of the parameters in the tank now.

Edit: I thought I should add that I'll post a picture of the tank and Tuna inside of it tomorrow when I've got her in it :) Also, do I have to wait the 24 hours before putting her in there? I am feeling really anxious to get her out of that tiny tank, and to give Lisa, the other fish, a little more room in there w/o the divider in place.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #16 
samwise0311

Oh, and I also got some aquarium salt. That could be helpful for Tuna right now, couldn't it? Should I maybe add some to the new tank?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #17 
veggiegirl

Oh that is so great that you got the 5 gallon and heater etc! your girls are going to be very happy. Sounds like you have everything covered, all I could add is that the stick on thermometers are not very accurate, the glass ones with the suction cups that you put into the tank are much better and pretty cheap too.

You said that Tuna has some white marks on her that were not there before...... when you get us some photos of her we might be able to let you know whether or not it is anything to worry about.

Good on you for getting your girls such a nice home, I am sure that they will be very happy
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #18 
Agility4fun

Hang in there Samwise. Betta keeping is a learn by doing kind of thing as I have discovered. Even those that do a ton of research before hand still have tons of questions and issues with their fish.

You're doing great and making the improvements needed. Soon it'll be all sorted.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #19 
veggiegirl

I totally agree Agility4fun no matter how much knowledge and experience that you have there is always something new to learn!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #20 
samwise0311

Thank you so much for all of your help, veggiegirl :) And thanks, Agility4fun, I am sure you are right about that. One thing I have noticed that my two fish are very different personalities. Lisa, has had no issues at all just being in that one gallon tank, while Tuna has something weird with her every day, it seems LOL. I'm sure at this point, that I am probably just over-analyzing things b/c I am worried about her and I want to be a responsible fish-owner.

Oh hey, I do have one more question. Sorry for all the questions, LOL! Anyway, I was thinking that with this bigger tank, would it be possible in some way for me not to have to separate my two fish with a divider if I were to maybe add more fish in with them? Or would that just be craziness? I'm guessing I'd probably need a bigger tank to do that, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Could I possibly add a couple of guppies or something in with them?