Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #21 
LebronTheBetta

Nothing, on earth, eats poop. Don't you mean detritus?

My snails hardly eat, yet they poop an enormous amount. How can you beat experience? I wasn't saying your facts were wrong, but you need to use the proper terms.

I said the snails won't work in the current tank. How many gallons is the tank right now, it's 3G. That's a very small enclosed system, it won't hold the amount of ammonia the snail + the fish produce.

I didn't say snails are bad overall, I just said they won't help in a situation like this.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #22 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Get him out and do a 100% water change. I heard that if you leave the water sitting out for more than 24 hours, the chlorine gets evaporated.

It may evaporate, but it doesn't take care of the chemicals and metals in the water.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #23 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post

My snails hardly eat, yet they poop an enormous amount. How can you beat experience? I wasn't saying your facts were wrong, but you need to use the proper terms.

I said the snails won't work in the current tank. How many gallons is the tank right now, it's 3G. That's a very small enclosed system, it won't hold the amount of ammonia the snail + the fish produce.

I didn't say snails are bad overall, I just said they won't help in a situation like this.
There ARE things that do eat poo (see Dungbeetle), however, LebronTheBetta is right. Snails don't eat poo, they eat leftover food and dead/dying plant matter, or some just eat your plants, dead or alive. Anything that eats in a tank, adds to the bioload. That they don't is a very common misconception (this counts shrimp, snails, and bottom feeding fish species). Plants are the only thing that takes away from the bioload of a tank.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #24 
marshallsea

Quote:

Dogs eat poop. Pigs eat poop. I've seen babies eat poop. Chickens eat poop. Of course my wording may be wrong, what is in detritus? I feel that for a snail population to be effective you must have plants to go with them. My experience with snails is all positive. Maybe there's something wrong with your snails , mine eat constantly by cleaning glass, plants, substrate. They never stop.

Last edited by marshallsea; 03-17-2013 at 11:57 AM.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #25 
marshallsea

Quote:

My original post suggesting snails was meant to be a joke, highlighting the way you always get snails when you buy plants. Sometimes it's hard to convey tone and feelings correctly through text. I know that snails are not the answer for a pound of food dropped in a tank.

Last edited by marshallsea; 03-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #26 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:

You may not see the snails eat, but they are constantly eating the biofilm which grows on every surface of the tank. Simple logic beats experience. Like marshallsea said, absolutely nothing on earth can eat 1 pound and poop 2. They won't help in ths situation, but your facts are incorrect.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #27 
Link592

ONE MORE THING GUYS;

Today I wake up, and my little brother told me he saw her at 6AM or was it 7AM? Anyways, she took the two containers of fish food that she emptied out yesterday in the tank, and I put those in the garbage and then, my brother woke up and he found her putting toilet water in the tank, I don't know HOW MUCH, she put it......But now I am worried.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #28 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link592 View Post
ONE MORE THING GUYS;

Today I wake up, and my little brother told me he saw her at 6AM or was it 7AM? Anyways, she took the two containers of fish food that she emptied out yesterday in the tank, and I put those in the garbage and then, my brother woke up and he found her putting toilet water in the tank, I don't know HOW MUCH, she put it......But now I am worried.
Wow. Water changes.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #29 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
There ARE things that do eat poo (see Dungbeetle), however, LebronTheBetta is right. Snails don't eat poo, they eat leftover food and dead/dying plant matter, or some just eat your plants, dead or alive. Anything that eats in a tank, adds to the bioload. That they don't is a very common misconception (this counts shrimp, snails, and bottom feeding fish species). Plants are the only thing that takes away from the bioload of a tank.
If leftover food and decaying plants can be considered part of the bio load that has to be removed , then snails take away from the bio load. They then add to the load but what they add back in is easier for the plants to eat, in the way that plants consume ammonia without having to break it down like the good bacteria, plants consume snail poo without have to break it down like they would if they were eating food and dead plants. Snail poo is fertilizer, leftover food and dead plants are not. Not yet anyway, that's where the snails come in. Snails improve the environment they live in.

Last edited by marshallsea; 03-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #30 
LittleBlueFishlets

@Link592 - I would do a water change. You may want to think about moving the tank to a place where the child can't get to it. Maybe your bedroom? (Or maybe you can find a way to secure the lid so that a child can't remove it so easily.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta might die, bloated, fish food