Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #31 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do another 100% wc.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #32 
Skyewillow

Don't take this the wrong way:
If she's not special needs, you might be able to explain that putting stuff in the fish tank will make the fish sick. If she is, depending on what end of the spectrum it is, you may still be able to convey that point, but it may take some more creativity.

My son is the same age, and once we explained that putting things in the tank, or even netting the fish out (happened to a betta once), could make the fishies sick or even kill them, and it wasn't very nice.

it took some repeating, and discipline to make sure the point got through, but he stays out of my tanks now. He'll sometimes ask to help, and that's fine, as long as he knows the fish food isn't a toy.

Good luck, hopefully the munchkin will start leaving the fish alone! :)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #33 
Bombalurina

LinkLover: if you can't move the tank or explain the situation as Skywillow suggested, is there a way for you to lock the lid of the tank, or place something on it that she can't lift?

Marshallsea: Yes, I have snails in my tanks. Like you, I have hundreds of little pondsnails and whatnot, and like you, my tank is densely planted and full established and nitrates never rise above 5ppm, even if I don't do a water change for a month (I still do them weekly-fortnightly). This is my 16 gallon and the snails make no noticeable difference.
However, when my sister added a mystery snail to the goldfish tank, nitrate levels went up even more than they usually do.
My point was that a snail is not good for this situation, not in general. Snails do add their own bioload to a tank and consequently would not help LinkLover.
I've also never seen them eating poo. *shrug*
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #34 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
LinkLover: if you can't move the tank or explain the situation as Skywillow suggested, is there a way for you to lock the lid of the tank, or place something on it that she can't lift?

Marshallsea: Yes, I have snails in my tanks. Like you, I have hundreds of little pondsnails and whatnot, and like you, my tank is densely planted and full established and nitrates never rise above 5ppm, even if I don't do a water change for a month (I still do them weekly-fortnightly). This is my 16 gallon and the snails make no noticeable difference.
However, when my sister added a mystery snail to the goldfish tank, nitrate levels went up even more than they usually do.
My point was that a snail is not good for this situation, not in general. Snails do add their own bioload to a tank and consequently would not help LinkLover.
I've also never seen them eating poo. *shrug*
My original post in this thread suggesting snails as a remedy was meant as a joke, highlighting how you get swamped with snails when you buy plants at Petco. My attempt at humor is lost in text.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #35 
Link592

The lid is one of those simple plastic covers with a little small whole in the middle, it's not heavy, very light.

I don't have any Aqua Plus left, but the water is super clear, and the filter is on the highest it can go. My betta is still a bit stressed, so I don't know what to do.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #36 
Link592

Skye, she's actually very intelligent, but she ignores being a "Good Girl" instead she prefers to be bad, weird right ;L
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta might die, bloated, fish food