Betta Fish Forum banner

I found the most beautiful Betta Fish ever, but

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
I don't have the tank ready yet :(

I don't have the extra money needed to make him a temp home. Would he be able to survive in the cup for two days with water changes?

And as soon as the tank was up to the right temp, I could float the cup to keep him warm...

I don't want to be cruel, but this fish is gorgeous and I want to give him an amazing life... Is it worth a couple unpleasant days to give him that?

Thanks so much... Depending on what everyone says, I'll go bring him home tonight.

#3 ·
Absolutely! It's better for him to go through a few tough days for a good, loving home. Two water changes in two days is way better then what the pet stores do. And at pet stores there at room temperature. You could even get him in a bigger but still small container like a peanut butter jar, anything bigger then his cup. When you get him, make sure to post pics!

#4 ·
It turns out the store already closed, but I'll probably go first thing in the morning... I think I'll go to walmart tonight for a 10 gallon kit, heater, food and water conditioner.

If the heat was up and the water was conditioned, would he be able to go in tomorrow night?

#5 ·
He would. Just make sure you take the time to adjust him to your water.
Float for 15 min.
Add a small amount of water to his container from the tank.
Reapeat above step every 7- 10 min until an hour has past.
Release and watch your new friend explore his domain.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

I have bought the tank and I am now preparing it for my beautiful fish that I have decided to name "Barry"... I will be sure to post some pics :D

This seems like an great community here... It's amazing to see so many people who care so much about Bettas and don't just view them as decorations.

#12 ·
Aww!!
Well hopefully he found a new home.

I noticed you said something like "I'll cycle the tank and look again in a week or so" ... I just wanted to make sure you are aware that cycling a tank takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks. But you can do a fish-in cycle if you find a fish you truly cant live without :)

#13 ·
I'm sorry.

This happened to me before. Saw this gorgeous pineapple VT, but didn't have the proper setup. I got a kritter keeper & 25 watt heater as a temporary home, but he was gone when I went to get him. So sorry! :(

#14 ·
Hey, everyone... sorry for not getting back to you!

I purchased the tank and began setting it up, but quickly realized that my stand simply wasn't strong enough, but today I had a friend over and asked if there was a way to make it work and he said that there is plenty of support in it.

So, I'm back at it. The tank is up, I'm going to buy plants and decor tomorrow and get the betta in about a week... I'll post pics if anyone is still interested :3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.