Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #11 
Jayloo

Agree. People suggest a higher number because they do establish a pecking order but if their personalities aren't too much they should be fine with 3...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

The trouble is bettas are also very unpredictable. My sorority ran smoothly for at least a year, and then the male betta that had grown up in the sorority (he had never cause any trouble) was all but killed by one or more of my females.

This happened completely out of the blue and was very upsetting for me.

However, it does go to show that even if things seem to be going okay now, we can never 100% predict what is going to happen in the future. These are still animals and so you have to be aware that nothing is ever going to be set in stone.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #13 
Jayloo

I've never attempted a male in a sorority...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wonder if it would work if the females were sisters.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #15 
Jayloo

Probably and especially if they weren't already separated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

I've also managed to keep fewer than the recommended number of females together due to docility, but it's a bigger risk. With bettas, it is always better to play it safe: LBF has the right of it. You never know what will happen.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #17 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
The trouble is bettas are also very unpredictable. My sorority ran smoothly for at least a year, and then the male betta that had grown up in the sorority (he had never cause any trouble) was all but killed by one or more of my females.

This happened completely out of the blue and was very upsetting for me.

However, it does go to show that even if things seem to be going okay now, we can never 100% predict what is going to happen in the future. These are still animals and so you have to be aware that nothing is ever going to be set in stone.
This is a good point. A sorority isn't something you can just throw the fish in & go about your business. My schedule allows me to spend time with my fish. I check on my girls several times a day just to sit & watch them. I know who's getting on who's nerves some days & which ones are best friends. I also like to check to make sure no one is sick. I'm overly cautious about that when there are several fish in one tank.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you're limited to a smaller tank, maybe just divide it into 2 or 3 sections, and give each girl her own 'bedroom'?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #19 
Jayloo

Divided tanks is a very good alternative.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #20 
Otterfun

I thought of using my SPEC V for the sorority but I figured that they needed their personal space for sanity. Even though the filter is 53gph, and I am having 2 Biomax, it should take care of the bioload of a 3-5 female in the SPEC V. BUT I also read that cramped space makes the betta get sick more easily, also in agreement with post #2. Last thing I want is a tank of sick girls and I have to QT and trash my cycled tank, I am seriously guarding that cycled tank...So I got a 12g for 5 females and leaning towards moving my 4 amano and Golden mystery snail over as well.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote