Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #1 
Janan

Please view my planted tank and give advice, if needed

Here is my planted tank for Leo. The dirt, I got from Petsmart. I don't know the names of my plants. To be honest, I bought what I thought would look good in the tank.

Leo seems to like it, except in the evening. By evening, he can see his reflection in the front glass. He paces back and forth, flaring non-stop. I turn off the daylight feature on the LED and turn on the night feature and he calms down.

I would appreciate it if you would rate the plants in the tank and tell me if there are any I need to pull out. Also, if you would tell me what kind of algae eaters would be best for this 4 gallon tank, I'll get them today.

It's been about 5 days since I set the tank up, so it is time to change the water. What percentage should I change? Do I put the conditioner in the new water before adding it to the tank, or do I put the conditioner in the tank after adding the new water?

I have a small heater that keeps the water tepid. I have a thermometer, but I don't think it works, so I'm going to exchange it. I turned the filter off because it was too strong. If you think I should run it, I will find a way to baffle it.

Thanks for your help. I love my little Leo and I don't want him to be sick because of my ignorance.

Last edited by Janan; 03-15-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Here is my planted tank for Leo. The dirt, I got from Petsmart. I don't know the names of my plants. To be honest, I bought what I thought would look good in the tank.

I believe they are hygrophilla corymbosa (I think, cant really tell from photo), anubias and java fern.
for anubias and java fern they should be planted with their rhizome out of the soil.

I would appreciate it if you would rate the plants in the tank and tell me if there are any I need to pull out.

anubias and java fern are slow growing plants, and dont do too much for water quality.
I believe the hygrophilla (if it is indeed that) doesnt like low light, so I'd watch and see how that goes.

Also, if you would tell me what kind of algae eaters would be best for this 4 gallon tank, I'll get them today.

Hmmm... hard question, I wouldn't suggest anything for a small tank, especially since you seem to be new to this. "Tank mates" help foul the water, whilst algae actually cleans your water. lol.
If you can plant more heavily with stem plants, one nerite snail will be nice.

It's been about 5 days since I set the tank up, so it is time to change the water. What percentage should I change?

doing weekly 50% plus a bi weekly 100% water change will be adequate.

Do I put the conditioner in the new water before adding it to the tank, or do I put the conditioner in the tank after adding the new water?

put the conditioner in the new water before you fill the tank. Also try to achieve the same water temperature as that of the tank water to prevent shocking Leo.

I turned the filter off because it was too strong. If you think I should run it, I will find a way to baffle it.

A 4 gallon is probably cycling, but that's up to you.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #3 
Janan

If I understand you correctly, (and thanks for your comments) the plants I have suggested aren't necessarily harmful, but neither are they beneficial. What do you suggest?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

they are beneficial... but not enough to save your water parameter if you cant do water changes for a week?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In answer to a question you didn't ask regarding those marbles on the bottom:

Feces and excess food will fall down in between the marbles and will be hard to clean. They will interfere with any planting you may---and should---want to do.

I think you should run a filter and cycle your tank. This will cut down on the requirements for water changes and keep ammonia at an absolute minimum, which is even more critical. The more planting you do, the less important this is. Fast-growing plants will benefit your water quality.

Take it away, Ao.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #6 
Janan

Thank you, AO. Unfortunately, Leo died yesterday. I was out of town and my son and grandchildren stayed here to feed the dogs and Leo. I found excess food at the bottom of the tank, so I think one of the grandchildren decided to feed the fish. Lesson learned. Put tank out of reach of grandchildren.

It could also have been the new plants I introduced, or the water change I did before leaving. I am so new at this that it could very well have been my fault.

It's the first fish that actually let me pet him, which also could have had a harmful affect, though I don't think I did it often enough and I limited it to little fin strokes.

But I'm hooked now, so will begin a search for a new Leo soon. This time, I will be more careful about what I put in the tank. And no marbles.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #7 
kyle89

Awww im soo sorry for your loss. I loved leos colors
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 
Janan

Thank you.