Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #1 
Posiefairy

First time Betta mommy

I'm so glad I found this community! My family (myself, hubby and 10 year old son) got our first Betta a couple weeks ago, a maroon male names Bubble. A week after we got Violet, a pretty dark blue/violet crown tail female and only a couple days later I went back and got another male who I wanted when we chose Violet ;). His name is Sunny, due to his mustard gold coloring.

This is my first time as a fish owner in my entire life and honestly had NO CLUE that they are inquisitive, friendly and social creatures! I have fallen in love with them, truly!

Our boys are on the shy side compared to Violet, who I call our "puppy-fish"...she gets super excited and wiggly when you approach her and bubbles at the surface when we get down to talk to her! We can even pet her! She's a little piggy so maybe she just wants food!

Yesterday I set them all up in their new tanks (upgraded from half gallon glass bowls to 2.5 gal for the boys and a 1gal for Violet). The boys are soooo happy...but Violet completely changed. She just stayed still and seemed distressed...so I put her back in her bowl. After a bit she was completely back to normal! So we are going to keep her in the bowl! This was we can move her...she truly loves being close to us, so she can be on hubby's desk during the day, since he's there so much and move her to on our table between the couch and chair when we are hanging watching TV, etc. :)

We love our fishies! Thank you for this community!

Dana
Posiefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #2 
blu the betta

welcome to the forum. you could put her in with only a half gal. of water. then slowly rise the water a little each day. i would rather you put her in a 2.5 gal. but you upgraded so its okay... for now. your doing okay so far. good luck.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #3 
motherpeters

Welcome to the forum! It seems that Betta's can be quite addictive.
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Blu's suggestion is a good one. :) Sometimes bettas feel overwhelmed by all the new space, but heavy decoration, especially with live plants, can help them feel right at home. They truly do thrive in tanks larger than a gallon, and bigger tanks make heating the water much safer, and make it easier to maintain water quality. :)
Welcome to the forum!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Nice to meet you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #6 
waterdog

Welcome to Bettas R Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you brought the family!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #7 
celliott

I am a new mom too and I had my boy in a 3 gallon tank and then uprgraded from that to a 10 gallon bow front tank which he absolutely loves. He enjoys exploring all around the tank. I also found that it is easier for me to keep clean due to being able to use a good filter system and maintaining the water temperature with a heater is a lot easier in the larger tank.
celliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #8 
Artemis

I went from no betta to 2, a 2.5 gal and a 1.5 and a third on the way
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote