Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #1 
DefStatic

First Time Owner...

First time owner. Long time fan. I have a 29gal tank at home I am going to start up again. My parents had it stocked when I was young, and when we moved they never set it back up but kept the tank and stand. So I intend to bring it back to life.

Now, this is not where my Betta will be LOL. While I wait to setup the 29gal, I have an Aqueon Evolve 4 at work. Just picked it up a few days ago, on sale at Petco for $40. Couldn't pass it up. I was debating on it and some larger ones, but could not pass it up at that price.

It is going to be a planted tank. I have not even got it started yet. I have already upgraded the light with a Finnex Fugeray-R. I am reading about upgrading the filtration system. Also, I am aware that even on the lowest flow setting, it is too fast. So I have already started to prepare modifying that (by reducing the tube size one size down and inserting a adjustable valve).

I jumped the gun and while at Petco purchased a Betta. I was going to wait a week or so until I had the tank started, but once I saw the guy I had to get him. He is a Halfmoon Doubletail Male. A very brilliant bright blue.

Knowing my Evolve 4 will not be ready for at least a week, I purchased a small 6 cup bowl with vented lid for him. But now I am going to get the Evolve 4 setup as fast as possible.

Look forward to lots of questions from me! Thanks for having a place to come to like this!
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

If you're going to live plant the 4 gallon, I don't see any reason why you can't put your new guy in there right away. Just add a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime to new water and keep up with partial water changes. Prime renders ammonia and nitrites harmless for 24 hours or so and your plants will do a good job handling it too.

A good water test kit will be necessary until your tank is established so you can monitor your levels.

Good luck and happy aquascaping :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #3 
DefStatic

I picked up a 25 pack of Tetra 6 in 1 Test Strips before I transfered him to the small bowl I got. The Evolve 4 came with some Aqueon water conditioner, and the small bowl also came with a water conditioner and some additive that is suppose to be beneficial to bettas. IDK much about them, but I followed the directions for the packets.

However, I think I may have already made a mistake. When I tried my water from home, I tested it and the PH was off the chart. The highest reading the strip does was 8.5 and it got to that within seconds. So I went to the store and got some bottled water. However, i bought distilled water. when I tested it the PH and everything was within proper parameters. However, I have been reading that I should not have used distilled water.

Should I undo that? Or just not use anymore? I do not want to do a 100% change again, as I would think that might stress him out more (although when I transfered him to the small bowl, I used half the water he came in). But maybe a 50% water change with non-distilled next time?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Stick with the tap water and add a piece of wood to the tank or some peat in the filtration system (if you can) to safely lower the ph. Don't let the fish stores talk you into buying chemicals to lower the PH. They're only a temporary fix and can do more harm than good.

I'd also invest some money into an API Freshwater Master test kit. It's a bit pricier than strips which have been proven to be innacurate. But, since you're going to be setting up the 29 gallon at some point - it will be well worth the initial investment and will last you a good long time.

And I'd still get some Prime if I were you. You only need a few drops per gallon so a small bottle will also last you a very long time. I'd double the dose at startup and then once established, go back to recommended dose per gallon with water changes.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #5 
DefStatic

I do want one of the nicer test kits once I setup the 29gal, just did not feel like spending nearly $40 for the 4gal.

Should I save the current bowls water for part of the cycling?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

No, the water itself barely houses any BB. Substrate, plants, filter media - these are the things you want. :)

Make sure your betta is nice and warm whilst he waits for his new home - they like it toasty between 78 and 82F. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #7 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
No, the water itself barely houses any BB. Substrate, plants, filter media - these are the things you want. :)

Make sure your betta is nice and warm whilst he waits for his new home - they like it toasty between 78 and 82F. :)
Without a heater, I can only keep his current bowl at 75 :-\ Is this going to be a problem? He seems quite active, for as active as he can be in a 6 cup container.

I am starting the 4gal today. Hopefully be able to transfer him in tomorrow or sometime this week. I am going to pick up a couple more plants to help with the cycle.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Hi and welcome to the forum it sounds like your fish will live a happy life :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #9 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum it sounds like your fish will live a happy life :)
Thanks, I have already invested a bit more than I was expecting LOL. I had originally purchased the Aqueon 10w MiniHeater, but before I opened it I looked up some reviews and people said it fluctuated too much for an office and anything more than 2gal. So I returned it and purchased the Aqueon 50w adjustable heater.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Thanks, I have already invested a bit more than I was expecting LOL. I had originally purchased the Aqueon 10w MiniHeater, but before I opened it I looked up some reviews and people said it fluctuated too much for an office and anything more than 2gal. So I returned it and purchased the Aqueon 50w adjustable heater.

Good choice there