Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #1 
DefStatic

Evolve 4 Tips and tricks?

Please pardon me if I am asking questions that get asked a lot. Having run several forums myself and participated in hundreds, I know this is a pet peeve of many.

I purchased an Aqueon Evolve 4 for my little guy. I have not got it setup and cycled yet. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks who have setup an Evolve 4 before?

I know one concern I have read before is the flow. Even at it's lowest setting, I have read the output is too strong. I have read a few tricks for this, none of which I found acceptable.

My idea right now is the tubbing that came with the pump isn't exactly very tight. So I was thinking of trying a tube size one smaller, and also installing an adjustable valve in between the pump and the power head. Any one have a better idea or any qualms against this idea?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Please pardon me if I am asking questions that get asked a lot. Having run several forums myself and participated in hundreds, I know this is a pet peeve of many.

I purchased an Aqueon Evolve 4 for my little guy. I have not got it setup and cycled yet. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks who have setup an Evolve 4 before?

I know one concern I have read before is the flow. Even at it's lowest setting, I have read the output is too strong. I have read a few tricks for this, none of which I found acceptable.

My idea right now is the tubbing that came with the pump isn't exactly very tight. So I was thinking of trying a tube size one smaller, and also installing an adjustable valve in between the pump and the power head. Any one have a better idea or any qualms against this idea?
I think there is a post on minimizing/controlling the flow with a ball valve, try searching for "ball valve"
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #3 
DefStatic

This is what I ended up doing. Let me know if there are any issues or concerns...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #4 
Otterfun

so you have to take it out, adjust, and then put it back into the slot? cool...is the tubing the original one or you have to get one that fits the valve?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #5 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
so you have to take it out, adjust, and then put it back into the slot? cool...is the tubing the original one or you have to get one that fits the valve?
Well, you COULD actually get your hand on the valve in this setup. Not shown on the pump, there is an adjustment on it as well on the side, where you really would have to remove the pump. However, even at it's lowest setting, it is too fast.

The only part of the original tube left is connected to the pump itself and the powerhead connector at the top. The original tubing was 1" ID, and I could not find an adjustable valve for that size.

But I did find one for a 1" OD. SO I got some 1" OD tubbing, which fits/connects inside the 1" ID (if you look closely you can see it. It was only a total of like $5 at Home Depot for the tubing and valve.

However, I have no clue what will be sufficient. Also not sure how this will effect the intake portion. I have it set now at only maybe 1/4 closed. Between the fact that technically the tubing is slightly smaller, and closing the valve 1/4, I believe this should be sufficient to reduce the flow to an acceptable amount for a Betta.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #6 
percyfyshshelley

That looks pretty nifty. I just baffled my intake and outflow with filter floss which seems to work. The betta I have in there doesn't do well with any water movement. The light is a bit dim for plants so I added another one to supplement. I shoved a heater into the space where the pump is. I've had mine for a year and I like it. I'd manage to cylce it as well.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 
DefStatic

According to someone who supposedly worked on designing the Evolves, the Pumps for the 4 and 8 models at high can put out 100 GPH. At the lowest 55 GPH. With my setup, and I put a Fluval Foam in front of the intake, I would say I am right at 40 GPH, which is still too high IMO.