Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #1 
Janan

Please view my planted tank and give advice, if needed

I posted this thread in the wrong area, so I'm re-posting it here. Sorry if you've already read it.

Here is my planted tank for Leo. The dirt, I got from Petsmart. I don't know the names of my plants. To be honest, I bought what I thought would look good in the tank.

Leo seems to like it, except in the evening. By evening, he can see his reflection in the front glass. He paces back and forth, flaring non-stop. I turn off the daylight feature on the LED and turn on the night feature and he calms down.

I would appreciate it if you would rate the plants in the tank and tell me if there are any I need to pull out. Also, if you would tell me what kind of algae eaters would be best for this 4 gallon tank, I'll get them today.

It's been about 5 days since I set the tank up, so it is time to change the water. What percentage should I change? Do I put the conditioner in the new water before adding it to the tank, or do I put the conditioner in the tank after adding the new water?

I have a small heater that keeps the water tepid. I have a thermometer, but I don't think it works, so I'm going to exchange it. I turned the filter off because it was too strong. If you think I should run it, I will find a way to baffle it.

Thanks for your help. I love my little Leo and I don't want him to be sick because of my ignorance.

Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

Algae eaters can get really big. The only thing I would suggest is a snail, or a few shrimp.

Also your tank is cute. I like the live plants, the bright blue one and red one is kinda throwing off the all natural look. (if that is what you are going for, if not then its cool!)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 
Janan

Thank you! I just wanted some color. I'll probably take them out as I add more plants.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

is it LED lit? you might wanna change it out for a fluorescent (or id necessary, incandescent) light since LEDs don't give off the right kind of light for plant growth.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #5 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
is it LED lit? you might wanna change it out for a fluorescent (or id necessary, incandescent) light since LEDs don't give off the right kind of light for plant growth.
It looks like an Evolve 4 or 8. Those come with an LED light, however, I do not see it mounted to the back on this one like it should. But just may be the angle of the picture.

LED lights as fine, and actually when you get the right ones can grow just as well or better than traditional T5. The LED light that comes with the Evolves is bot sufficient enough though. It will do fine with most low light plants.

If you are interested in medium to high light LED clip on style fixtures, I suggest taking a look at the Finnex Fugeray-R, or the most expensive Ecoxotic Pico LED. The Finnex will get you buy just fine for medium light (reasonably priced as well). The Ecoxotic is much more expensive but will get you into the high light range. the advantage of LEDs, especially now, is the low heat output.

While I applaud your use of live plants, I will also point out that marbles at the bottom are not going to allow you for much growth. If growth is not a problem, then dont worry about it :) EDIT: Nevermind, I see you do have a substrate, just with marbles on top. At first when I looked I thought the entire bottom was marbles. LOL

Also, you will want to stick with low light plants or slow growing plants if you have no intention of converting to a CO2 setup. But in order to keep these low light plants, you will still want to correctly liquid fert.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 
DefStatic

FYI, do not get any other fish, it is too small a tank.

If that is an Evolve, you will want to reduce the flow. I am researching this myself, trying to find out if it is best to reduce through the input or output. I have an idea already. But keeping the filter off is not a remedy.

What heater did you get?

From what I know, you should typically do a 20% water change on these. How often is the other question. Also, if you are up to it, the filtration system can be improved. I am told the cartridges for the Evolves are junk.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #7 
Crowntails

Do 50% water changes.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #8 
Janan

Unfortunately, Leo died while I was away over the weekend. My son and grandchildren stayed at the house and fed the pets. I found several uneaten pellets on the floor of the tank, so I suspect the grandchildren overfed my betta. Or it could have been an ill-prepared tank. I'm not sure.

I will get another betta, although I can never replace Leo, who showed me so much trust. I'm not sure if I should do another planted tank.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #9 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janan View Post
Unfortunately, Leo died while I was away over the weekend. My son and grandchildren stayed at the house and fed the pets. I found several uneaten pellets on the floor of the tank, so I suspect the grandchildren overfed my betta. Or it could have been an ill-prepared tank. I'm not sure.

I will get another betta, although I can never replace Leo, who showed me so much trust. I'm not sure if I should do another planted tank.
Sorry to hear about that. I am keeping one at my office soon, and I will be putting up a sign that says DO NOT FEED.

Also, the plants only help your tank. Did you properly cycle your tank?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #10 
Crowntails

I'd keep up with the plants. The light is strong enough for low light plants. They help the tank because the plants take in the ammonia and nitrites produced. I'm so sorry for you loss of such a beautiful betta :(
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote