Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

natural drift wood in my betta tanks

so I found some really pretty pieces of natural driftwood at a lake while on spring break and I was wondering if I can put it in my betta tanks and if I can what is the safest way to cure it of tannins and parasites I heard you should boil it or submerge it in water for a few weeks until the is clear but I would like your opinions
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 
tekkguy

The wood needs to have no bark, and be very hard. If you can press your fingernail into it, don't use it.

Boil it if you can fit it into a pot. It will stink. Change the water often. Then you'll need to soak it until it will sink and stay submerged. You will need to change the water a lot. It may leech tannins for months, there's no way to tell until you're doing it.

You can cheat and speed up the sinking process by boiling it and then soak it in icy water, then boil again, then icy water again. Do that until you just can't make yourself do it again. Boiling it will open up the pores in the wood, and submerging it in an ice water bath will snap them closed again quickly, trapping water inside.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

ok
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote