Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 
kimt

I give up on a filter with my elephant ear

I've moved this poor guy around so much. Had him in a 1 gallon then moved him to a 5 gallon mini bow only half filled as he has a fin injury and doesn't swim well. The fin seems to be getting better but he definitely isn't a great swimmer and probably never will be. I don't think he's ever going to zoom around the tank like my crown tail does. I moved him into a 2.5 mini bow because he was pretty stressed when I tried to fill up the 5 all the way. Moved him to a smaller tank and gave the 5 to my crown tail. The elephant ear gets pushed around with any water movement. I tried baffling the filter but I still got some water movement and it doesn't take much to push him around. I turn off the filters at feeding time so they don't have to chase their food around. I forgot to plug it back in yesterday and a few hours later, I found him lounging on his hammock happily building a bubble nest. I give up on the filter. He seems so much happier without it. Anyone else have a quirky betta that does better in a smaller tank and/or without a filter?
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 
yoitsjode

Bettas don't like filters.
yoitsjode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 
marktrc

i notice my bettas like 2 gals the best. 10gal for one fish is too big and mine usually get stressed. they seem ok with 5 gals but thats max for me. but i figure why go 5 gal when they are seem to like 2 gals the best and since i dont put gravel its way easier to clean then a 5. (no filters or airstones) i always have a plant or 2 in each tank whether its fake or real.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 
kimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
i notice my bettas like 2 gals the best. 10gal for one fish is too big and mine usually get stressed. they seem ok with 5 gals but thats max for me. but i figure why go 5 gal when they are seem to like 2 gals the best and since i dont put gravel its way easier to clean then a 5. (no filters or airstones) i always have a plant or 2 in each tank whether its fake or real.
Now my crown tail seems to love the extra space. He was in a 3 gallon before. I think he would even enjoy a 10 gallon. He loves to zoom around his tank. I think it is interesting how they have such different personalities. The elephant ear is perfectly content lounging on his hammock most of the time. My crown tail is much more active.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #5 
VegasShimmer

Yes! I'm glad it's just not me. I have a baby VT (Casper, lower left in my avatar), and he was in a 1.1g growing up. Well, when I got my divided 10g, I moved him to a slightly larger 3g tank (no filter). I found that he was more active in the 1.1g than now in the 3g. Now, he just kinda floats and doesn't seem happy. At times, he is slightly clamped also. He does flare every now and then, and eats very well. He has a leaf, log, real plants, and a barrel to hide in. I do one 50 and one 100 change every week. I have been wondering whether or not to put him back in the 1.1g, where he seemed happier. Could it be possible that some Bettas actually like the smaller spaces? He is also the shyest of my Bettas, so the big space may be overwhelming.

Last edited by VegasShimmer; 03-18-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Typo
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #6 
kimt

My EE was most active in the 1 gallon I think, although he has never been very active, especially in comparison to the crown tail. I wanted both in 5 gallons as that is what is deemed best, at least 5 gallons. But now I going to follow the cues of each fish as what makes them happy. Glad to know, I'm not the only one with a quirky fish
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #7 
JBonez423

Haha it's their fish-alities! I have my babies in a divided 5 gallon with a filter. The filter is on the side of the one who zooms around the most, and he seems to love it! I actually turned it up so he could have more fun swimming through it. My other one is a little less active, so she probably wouldn't like a filter in there. That cracks me up, though!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Some bettas love big spaces, others just have too much heavy finnage to feel comfortable in them. My HM and VT boys both adored my 5 gallon, but my HM boy seems equally happy in his 3 gallon hospital tank. Everyone seems fine with their filter as long as they can swim with it.

I'd say, go with whatever size/level of filtration makes your betta happy, as long as it is heated, over one gallon and has good water quality.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote