Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Shrimp with eggs??

So, after thinking it over all night I decided to give my veiltail a couple of shrimp as tankmates and I picked some up today. They seem to be doing their normal shrimp thing (including looking creepy) but I noticed that one of them seems like he has these little dark dots in his belly. At least five; they are different than the food I can see in his body after he eats. Is he going to have babies? Should I keep him quarantined (they are all currently being quarantined for now) until he lays the eggs, and then what do I do with them? Or should I let the eggs hatch in my tank with the veiltail so he can eat them?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 
Sea Dragon

Guys don't lay eggs... But either way, if you have ghost shrimp, the eggs probably won't hatch in freshwater.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1. Ghosties, despite being pretty hardy (for shrimp) are hard to breed.

If you are interested in breeding shrimp, red cherry shrimp are by far the easiest. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #4 
Bounce

I put six ghost shrimp in my tank about six months ago and have found babies several times. Mine must be very prolific little shrimp.

They are in a 75 gallon tank with an angelfish and I would have thought he would have eaten them, especially the babies, but they have a lot of plants and driftwood to hide amongst. I guess this is how they're surviving. I have a variety of sizes now ranging from babies less than one-fourth of an inch long to the original ones who are around an inch long.
Attached Images

Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 
Artemis

Okay, stop right there. There is more then one type of "ghost shrimp" and most will breed in fresh water. Are the "eggs" back right in front of the tail? I so, if not, it's just internal organs. I have had ghost shrimp hatch in freshwater before as well. If with bettas though and not a LOT of plants, they will be breakfast. However the young, newly hatched/dropped shrimp will make nice fry food I think.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #6 
bniebetta

they are little green things that move a lot in the lower belly. The are by those feeler thingies on the underside, and none of the other shrimp have them
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #7 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
they are little green things that move a lot in the lower belly. The are by those feeler thingies on the underside, and none of the other shrimp have them
Yup EGGS. the can be yellow, green or sometimes orange.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #8 
Artemis

The eggs are green for now but it takes about 2 weeks for them to become clear and show the little black dots that mean eyes. When you get black dots, the eggs will be released in anywhere from 5 days to 5 minutes depending on when you see them.

Get a container or tank and load it up with plants now, set it in sunlight and add in dead decaying leaves from the bottom of a pond, stream, lake, etc., they have tiny bacteria that break down dead plants and the babies love them. You need algae right now, this will feed mom and babies while she releases, this way she won't cannibalize. Make sure it is good size but it doesn't need to be huge. Unlike betta's ghost shrimp only release around 20-30 eggs each time they get eggs. A PetCo betta container is nice because you can see the babies nicely and remove mom quickly once she drops.

When the mom releases her eggs, she will have the egg shell on her still, just no babies. She will continue to flutter her pleopods, the legs, until the shells fall off.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote