betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #11 
callistra

One level scoop. Yes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #12 
PupPetta

How do I know when to euthanize

Hey, I started treatment 3 days ago and nothing has changed. He was floating at the top of the water the whole time, I would put in some food but he wouldn't even pretend to be interested, like he had been before. He now hasn't eaten anything in over and week, and in the past 3 weeks he's only eaten 3 pellets. Today after I did his 100% water change rather than floating he began to sink. He just sunk and laid down right in the middle of the tank and it is really depressing to look at. He's been through a lot recently and I really don't see him making it out of this so I'm wondering your opinion on euthanizing. I know dropsy is almost always fatal. But it's also hard to feel like you're not giving him enough chance to heal. I'm going on vacation in a week and so if he has no chance at surviving, and will just be going through a prolonged death, I would like to end it before I leave so I can be there when it happens. I just need some reassurance this is the right thing to do.
PupPetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #13 
callistra

3 days isn't enough time to fix dropsy. You might not even see much change for up to a week and full recovery will take 2 weeks.

You're doing epsom salts and kanaplex right? KAnaplex needs to be dosed every 48 hours (every other day), unles you're doing a water change every day it needs to be redosed every day.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #14 
PupPetta

Yes thats what im doing. I know thats not long to show improvements. Just everything I've read about dropsy has been really discouraging and im not sure if my family will know how to continue the treatment while im on vacation. If you think I should wait it out I will Im just really worried hes going to pass while im gone and i won't be able to say goodbye. He's been extremely tough so far so I definitely want to give him a chance I just don't have high hopes. I wasnt expecting he'd be around much longer even before he had dropsy just because he refused to eat anything other than bloodworms.

after how long would you expect to see improvements?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #15 
callistra

I would expect to see improvements by a week.

Just talk to your family and walk them through how to help him.. I've seen lots of dropsy cases turn around
Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #16 
Starfish1

Hi :)

What could have happened is the fin rot, if it was bad, could turn into dropsy because the bacteria just moves from the fins to another part of the fish's body. this happened to one of my bettas a few months ago after our power was out for 4 days. Fin rot, that didn't respond to antibiotics and then about a week later, dropsy.

Betta revive, in my experience, has not been the best thing for fin rot, but a lot of stores only carry betta revive so they recommend it for pretty much everything. I've never had success with it for fin rot but it worked for a mild case of ich years ago. Although I don't think it's designed for that..

Best luck with your fish :)
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #17 
PupPetta

He passed away some time last night :( I think it's for the best, I didn't want to be responsible for making the decision to end it but I knew he was suffering so I'm glad nature took its course quickly. Thanks for your help though, I now have a good supply of kanaplex which seems to be a good medicine to have around for the next little guy I bring into my family.

Tags
dropsy, dying betta, melafix, pineconing