Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #21 
veggiegirl

no problems, always happy to help and never apologize for asking questions it is the only way to learn

Bettas as you mentioned do indeed have very individual personalities, they are just like people in that way and no two bettas are the same.

I am afraid that the 5 gallon is only really big enough for the two girls..........you would need a 10 gallon to be able to keep more fish, also guppies do not make good tank mates for bettas because the bettas usually mistake them for other bettas because of their colourful tails and will attack them.

Probably best just to separate the two girl in the 5 gallon. One day if you ever decide to get a larger tank like 10 gallons then you could add some other fish.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #22 
samwise0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
no problems, always happy to help and never apologize for asking questions it is the only way to learn

Bettas as you mentioned do indeed have very individual personalities, they are just like people in that way and no two bettas are the same.

I am afraid that the 5 gallon is only really big enough for the two girls..........you would need a 10 gallon to be able to keep more fish, also guppies do not make good tank mates for bettas because the bettas usually mistake them for other bettas because of their colourful tails and will attack them.

Probably best just to separate the two girl in the 5 gallon. One day if you ever decide to get a larger tank like 10 gallons then you could add some other fish.
Damn! I was actually going to get a 10 gallon aquarium set today b/c it was only 2 bucks more than the 5 gallon set that i got, but chose the 5 gallon b/c it had LED lights and I'd only need to buy one thing of gravel, which allowed me to buy the heater. I'm sure that sounds silly, but I only had a certain amount to spend. Now I wish I just went for the 10 gallon :( Oh well, later on, I'll get some more fish. I'll post some pics of Tuna soon. I am noticing that she's basically all white underneath her chin onto her belly now too. My daughter, who is only 2, even pointed it out. She yelled, "Oh no!! Tuna turned white!!" When we got her, she was black and dark blue. Now she's like gray with a white chin and belly, a blue tail, white stripes on her body, and her little tiny fins on her belly are red. It def doesn't look right. Going to try to get a pic of her that you can actually see!

Oh, and about aquarium salt, I got some today. I remember reading some stuff about adding aquarium salt helping bettas, and the package says some stuff about it too. Should I maybe add some to Tuna's new tank? sorry to ask again, I asked earlier, and I don't know if you know anything about this, but I figured it might help her with some of whatever it is that is going on with her now. Man, I had no idea Bettas actually weren't as resilient as these pet stores lead you to believe!
samwise0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #23 
veggiegirl

Hi,

I am not too sure on Tunas condition without seeing photos so the sooner you can get them the better because if something was wrong they always have a better chance at survival if it is caught and treated early.

Some people swear by aquarium salt and I have used it before but did not really notice any improvements or otherwise. I think it would be best for us to see the photos of Tuna before you add it to her tank. She is probably fine but with certain conditions like bloat/dropsy/constipation salt can actually make the situation worse because it causes the fish to absorb water . As long as she does not have any of the above concerns then it is probably safe to add it to her water but lets see the photos first just to be safe.

Once you get to know how to care for bettas they are not all that difficult to keep, in some situations they can even surprise us and be quite hardy but it is always important to remember that fish are fragile creatures in general.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #24 
veggiegirl

As I am sure you will find bettas are very addictive so perhaps one day you will get a 10 gallon as well! Then the fun really begins because you can start your own sorority of female bettas if you wish. Female bettas do best in groups of five or more because it prevents a dominant fish singling out the weaker ones and picking on them. In a 10 gallon you would easily have room for five female bettas.

I started out with a single male betta that was a family members unwanted present. I now have 13 male bettas and a female! I am currently setting up a sorority and hope to have around 10 female bettas. I do not breed my fish, I simply do not have the time so I collect them instead. They are my babies!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 03-19-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #25 
samwise0311

Alright, I apologize in advance. The only camera I have access to at the moment is the one on my phone, and it doesn't take very good pics of moving objects like Tuna, lol. But, I'll explain each picture.

This first picture shows her belly while she's up at the top of her tank. You can see how white it is. It didn't turn that color until today. Before today, her belly was the same dark color of the rest of her:

This next picture is a profile of Tuna. You can see right next to her eye, there is a red mark that also wasn't there today. But, I might be able to attribute that to the fight that she had with Lisa today when she managed to jump across the divider. Lisa got beat up too. She had a few bite marks on her side and a rip in her tail fin. I'm not sure if you can see it all that well in the picture, but you can also see that she has some white stripes on her body:

This next picture is strange, b/c I caught her while swimming upward. This is a shot of her underside in motion, so I'm sorry it's kind of weird.

And this last picture is another pic of her from the side. It isn't all that clear, but one thing that is actually going well is that her fins are healing pretty rapidly and looking much better.

I have her in the new tank now. Hopefully some of these issues will subside. She seems so happy in there :) Lisa seems happy to have the other tank all to herself as well.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #26 
samwise0311

Oh, I forgot to add, the white stripes are also appearing in her fins.

Edit: I also forgot to mention in this post, though I have mentioned it before, that when I took her home, her face was black (she looked gorgeous), and the rest of her was a vivid, dark blue. By the time we got home, she had already started changing color.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #27 
Luimeril

something's stressing her out... she could just be a shy betta(i've had those. 8V pain in my behind. lol)... try adding more plants and decor? :V that usually helps my shy babies.

i'd like to chirp in with, i'd complain to the manager about staff giving out wrong info. 8I tell them what the person said, who the person was, and what happened after you got the two females. show them the pictures, if you can.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #28 
VJM

Go ahead and return the test strips. They are not accurate. Stick on thermometers are also not reliable. You need a proper liquid testing kit (API makes one, available much cheaper on Amazon), if you will be testing. The pet store should have proper thermometers that have a suction cup on the end.

What are you feeding them? Pellets from New Life Spectrum and Omega One are generally recommended, but any food that has whole fish rather than fish meal as the primary ingredient can work.

It is really frustrating that pet stores don't give better advice. You are doing a great job trying to rectify their mistakes.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #29 
samwise0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
something's stressing her out... she could just be a shy betta(i've had those. 8V pain in my behind. lol)... try adding more plants and decor? :V that usually helps my shy babies.

i'd like to chirp in with, i'd complain to the manager about staff giving out wrong info. 8I tell them what the person said, who the person was, and what happened after you got the two females. show them the pictures, if you can.
I would report it to the manager, but the manager that was there that day was the one who told her to tell me that my two females could live together in a 1 gallon tank just fine! I really do think I am going to go in there and let them know that they need not be telling people anything of that sort. I'll go in there in give some schooling on Bettas. I think by now, I could run their fish department better than they could, and I only have two female bettas and two fish tanks in my house LOL! But seriously, they were clueless, and my poor fish paid for it. I'm hoping Tuna's weird coloring and such is just from stress, and now that she's alone in a nice 5 gallon tank, she'll go back to normal. Honestly, I got a really good deal on the tank that I got. I think I might just get another one after I work a few more shifts at the bartending gig I've been doing on the side, and instead of getting a divider, just get another 5 gallon tank for Lisa, my other betta. I think both of them would be happier never seeing each other again. I still can't believe that Tuna jumped over the divider to get at Lisa so they could fight. I've never seen anything like that before. They really kicked each other's asses! Thank goodness I was there, or I am sure one of them would have died.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #30 
samwise0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Go ahead and return the test strips. They are not accurate. Stick on thermometers are also not reliable. You need a proper liquid testing kit (API makes one, available much cheaper on Amazon), if you will be testing. The pet store should have proper thermometers that have a suction cup on the end.

What are you feeding them? Pellets from New Life Spectrum and Omega One are generally recommended, but any food that has whole fish rather than fish meal as the primary ingredient can work.

It is really frustrating that pet stores don't give better advice. You are doing a great job trying to rectify their mistakes.

Thanks, good to know. I just grabbed the test strips because they were the only thing they had and they were cheap. I have a nice pH testing drop kit that I got from a friend for free, and I have seen the API kits you are talking about while researching online. They are pretty expensive, so I'll have to wait on getting one for a little while, but I will definitely get one. I am feeding them Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Pellets and I give them freeze-dried blood worms once a week. I'd like to include more stuff in their diet, once I figure out where to get it all. I got some tropical fish flakes in the aquarium kit that I bought today, but neither fish showed any interest in them, so I just ended up scooping them out.

I just read the ingredients on the pellets I have, which I was told to buy at PetSmart, and the first ingredient is "whole fish meal," so it looks like I should probably buy some better fish food :/ I also only got the sticky thermometers b/c that was the only option at the store I was in and they were super cheap, so I really don't regret it. I'm definitely going to be buying better ones. These ones are annoying and hard to read and I am sure they are inaccurate. And thank you for the compliment on me doing a great job :) I appreciate that. I still feel pretty clueless sometimes, like when I was setting up my new aquarium today, but I really do want my fish to live long, happy lives. I never knew that I'd like having pet fish so much, but I really do! I keep finding myself talking to people about them and how awesome they are, and they look at me like I'm some weirdo. I mentioned earlier that I'm a bartender a few nights a week, and I keep ending up having conversations with drunk people about my fish LMAO! I am so glad that I found this forum. I don't know what I would have done without it! There is so much conflicting advice on the internet and with pet stores. I have two good friends who both worked in pet stores in the fish departments, and they both gave me terrible advice on what to do with my bettas, and both agreed that two females could live together just find in a 1 gallon tank. I don't even know what to say to either of them about it at this point b/c I don't want to insult them.