Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #1 
sandiego280zx

Live food

Ok so I was thinking about feed my betta, Merlin and his tankmate live food maybe two a week but I wanted to know the difficulty in it, costs involved, and types that would work best for my fish.
sandiego280zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #2 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Are you in San Diego? If so you can purchase live black worms at Pet Kingdom...it'll run you $1.59 a portion (about a TBS).

I can't find live food up in the area where I am so I use the frozen versions of blood worms, brine shrimp, krill, etc.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

Bettas love live blackworms (actually, most fish do). Usually the LFS will sell you a portion in a plastic fish bag with some water. Take the worms home, put them in a small plastic dish with a lid and just enough water to cover them. Poke some holes in the lid, and put the container in your refridgerator. Every two days or so, carefully dump the water out (be careful not to dump out the worms!) and replace it with new water and a drop of water conditioner. The worms should last a couple weeks before they start to die off. If you only have the two fish, you might want to ask for a half portion of worms since it would be difficult to go through a whole portion for just two fish before they went bad. Be careful not to overfeed, as bettas will eat blackworms like nobody's business.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote