Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #1 
Chevko

Snail water conditions question

Okay, so I'm really badly needing to change Honey's water because it's getting smelly (I know, omg, why did I let it get to a stinky stage?) and I couldn't do it yesterday because I was horribly sick (spent about 10 hours in the bathroom because I didn't know if I was going to throw up or not and simply could not get comfortable) and couldn't get to it before work because I woke up late because of the aforementioned reason.

My question is... Why is Honey so much more active the worse off the water in her container is? She's all perky, running around the container, looking through the sand for food, etc. It just seems so.. backward. I mean, I try to change out the water in her container every 4-5 days and the smell is saying it's time to do that a bit sooner. Like... she's not acting ill or anything or anything bad at all, she's just... active. I'm sure if the temp were 5 lower she'd be just as active. Sometimes she goes up to the water's edge and makes a straight u-turn (she has not once gotten out of her container, but I think that it's because of how it's shaped, it's a plastic pretzel container) downward, other times she gets a lung of air.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Just because the water looks or smells bad doesn't necessarily mean that the toxins have built up, the same as just because the water looks crystal clear doesn't mean the water is without toxins. Test the water & you'll see if its bad or not, typically snails will let you know if there is too much ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple snail, mystery snail, snail, water conditions