Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 
Lizzie the Badger

1.5 gallon tank advice/help?

For Christmas my mom gave me a 1.5 plastic aquarium, as well as substrate and fake plants for it.

I have been wanting to get a male betta. However, I've been thinking about it and I rather keep a male in a 3-5 gallon kritter keeper a have, while using the 1.5 as a hospital tank.

The tank is called a Tetra LED Aquarium Kit. It includes an LED lighting system, Whisper filter, and a Whisper Bio-bag small cartridge.

What wattage should I use for a 1.5 gallon tank? At my Petsmart they have a small under tank heaters that are actually meant for aquariums, could I use one of those?

I was also wondering, how do I cycle this tank?

Thanks in advance!
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

I used to have that tank, you'd have to stick that Undertank on the back, because the bottom is a big gap for the storage of "foodstuffs".

Hydor makes a preset heater for smaller tanks like that, it's called the slim. I'm not seeing it on Petsmart's website, but I did manage to find a few other "mini" heaters.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

If you only have one betta in a tank by himself, you don't really need a hospital tank when he gets sick, you can just treat him in his 3 gal.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-the 1gal and 1.5gal tanks are fine to keep a Long fin male long term provided that water quality is maintained. Using a filter is optional and especially in small tanks with a long fin male-I don't recommend them due to the filter being a possible cause of fin damage and stress. Without a filter it will be harder to establish the nitrogen cycle-unless you used lots of live plants and then you would need to change the LED lights to support plant growth.

I like to use the Tetra brand preset 25w heaters in my 1gal-5gal tanks. I have never had any issue with them and they maintain the temp within 5-10degrees of room temp-usually range from 76-81F depending on room temp. IME-a healthy adult Betta can tolerate the gradual temp changes normally seen with day/night, lights on/off and at different levels within the tank itself. Its those sudden extreme temp changes that can be stressful.

You can establish the nitrogen cycle on smaller filtered tanks, however, due to limited surface area the cycle might not be stable and twice weekly 50% WC might be needed-unless you add more surface area-like bio-balls, extra sponge, bio-wheel...etc....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #4 
quietlythundering

If you want! My boy was getting too big for it, so I moved him into a large critter keeper, and upgraded my girl into the 1.5. So far, she loves the space, and has grown exponentially since moving in a month ago. :)
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I used to have that tank, you'd have to stick that Undertank on the back, because the bottom is a big gap for the storage of "foodstuffs".

Hydor makes a preset heater for smaller tanks like that, it's called the slim. I'm not seeing it on Petsmart's website, but I did manage to find a few other "mini" heaters.

If you only have one betta in a tank by himself, you don't really need a hospital tank when he gets sick, you can just treat him in his 3 gal.
Note the Topfin & Aqueon DO NOT have thermostat to allow the heater to turn on and off. Only Marina has thermostat. What it means is that you have to monitor the tank temp to ensure the water does not go too hot as the heaters will not turn off but keep heating until you unplug it.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 
ollief9

I would definitely go for a 3-5 gallon tank. Having more room to work with makes it easier to decorate the tank (ornaments can often look huge and out of place in 1.5 gallons) and water quality is easier to take control of. The fish will have a lot more room to swim around and a filter is much more feasible - they tend to be overkill in very small tanks.

1.5 gallon can be done but I would personally go for 3-5 gallons.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #7 
AkaRyu

I think a 1.5 would be small for a full blown filter, but you can easily do a sponge filter! I have the 3 gallon version of this tank, but i'm still waiting on the sponge filter (the filter that came with it is crap!)
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 
BettaPirate

Sometimes it also depends on the specific Betta. Some betta love lots of space, my Splashcasso really likes his small 2 gallon tank with one decoration and one silk plant. I am thinking of getting a critter keeper for jack because he has one of those 3 gallon cylinder tanks and I think he would be happier in a more shallow tank even if it is smaller.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #9 
Lyshymo

I actually use that tank for my EE male, Ozwald. Personally I don't use the filter--small tanks don't need one due to currents being too strong (frequently).

I have a small heater (Slim Heater by Hydor) and it works exceptionally well! You can also hide the slim heater under gravel.
I can also show you pictures of my setup (I have 3 Silk plants and the heater in it). ^-^
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #10 
Lizzie the Badger

I apologize for not responding in a while. I have been incredible busy with school and chorus. Not to mention there was an electrical fire at my house 3-4 weeks ago- everything is alright. I only lost one fish which was sometime Saturday.

Lyshymo, I would love to see pictures pics of your tank! Thanks for telling me about the filter.^^

Thank you everyone for your input!
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote