Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #41 
sunlight
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
If you have an uncycled tank, you'll be cleaning the thing five times a day to keep your nitrite and ammonia levels at zero. That's just impractical and arguably unnecessary.

I would say clean it as many times as necessary to keep nitrites and ammonia below 1 ppm. Your fish will be fine, and you'll be promoting bacteria growth.
Sorry i am late for this discussion but i really want to say something about not cycled and too clean tanks. I actually never cycled any of my tanks even my 5 gall tank. And for 2.5 gall i do 100% water changes every 5 days and for 5 gall every 9 days . I do rinse everything in the tank (gravel , plants, heater, even walls i rinse and wipe) So you guys will considerate it to be too clean. Well my oldest betta is about now 4.8 years old and my youngest one about will be 2 years. And the temperature is 76*. And my friend does the same and we don't have any problems . Sorry i am not arguing, it just the fact that it really not bad if you don't cycle .....I have 5 bettas

Last edited by sunlight; 03-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #42 
JBonez423
Member
 
JBonez423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CT, soon CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyFishyPoo View Post
So I have 2, 1.5 gallon tanks. They both have awesome filters, are cleaned 50% every friday, are facing a heat vent and are located up against an outside wall. Both fish are happy and (as far as I can see) healthy. The one boy is new (as of yesterday :D) But my other guy has a bubble nest built and is very agressive. Both flare and do not seem to have clamped up fins and are very active. Anyways! My mom has this thing... She thinks bettas live in small puddles and therefore refuses to buy heaters. *Sigh* I did point out they live in water in thiland (sp?) and indoisia (again sp?) where it is warm. we are in canada...so what could I possibly do to convince her and make up for the absence of a heater?
Thank you guys :)
ps. I ask that you dont judge on the size of tanks...I dont have my summer job and sadly have no money for a bigger tank.. grrr.
1.5 gallons is fine. The only amount I honestly think is too small for a fish is anything less than a gallon. I've seen some people on other sites saying you can't have anything less than a 5 gallon, but I think that's a little excessive.. I mean, if you have the cash and space to give every betta a 5 gallon, more power to you lol but it shouldn't be considered a requirement. If they're unfurled and active and generally happy looking, they're fine in the size tank they have. =]

As for trying to convince your mum on certain things, I would definitely try to highlight that they are tropical fish and need heaters. I'm not gunna lie... none of my bettas have heaters. I'm on the fence about getting them one, since their tanks maintain steady at 75-77 degrees, and everyone is happy and active as can be. I think it's partially because this house is always so hot. My grandma likes to keep the heat at 80... at the very least. If your house is cold, simply explain to your mum that your environment is too cold and you're afraid they'll get sick.

As far as asking you why you're cleaning them so often, just tell her that while it's true they live in small puddles in the wild, they can also jump into another puddle when theirs gets too dirty. They're good jumpers. How often do you clean your tank? I do a 50% and a 100% a week on my one gallons.

Sorry if I'm repeating any info, I haven't gone through the whole thread lol.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #43 
EmmyFishyPoo
Member
 
EmmyFishyPoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
1.5 gallons is fine. The only amount I honestly think is too small for a fish is anything less than a gallon. I've seen some people on other sites saying you can't have anything less than a 5 gallon, but I think that's a little excessive.. I mean, if you have the cash and space to give every betta a 5 gallon, more power to you lol but it shouldn't be considered a requirement. If they're unfurled and active and generally happy looking, they're fine in the size tank they have. =]

As for trying to convince your mum on certain things, I would definitely try to highlight that they are tropical fish and need heaters. I'm not gunna lie... none of my bettas have heaters. I'm on the fence about getting them one, since their tanks maintain steady at 75-77 degrees, and everyone is happy and active as can be. I think it's partially because this house is always so hot. My grandma likes to keep the heat at 80... at the very least. If your house is cold, simply explain to your mum that your environment is too cold and you're afraid they'll get sick.

As far as asking you why you're cleaning them so often, just tell her that while it's true they live in small puddles in the wild, they can also jump into another puddle when theirs gets too dirty. They're good jumpers. How often do you clean your tank? I do a 50% and a 100% a week on my one gallons.

Sorry if I'm repeating any info, I haven't gone through the whole thread lol.
Well I am not planning on taking out the filter as my tanks are doing well right now :) I also got a heater but before that (my house is very cold) the tempurature in the tanks was like... 70. Also I clean the tank 2 times a week, both about a 50-75% water change. I also top up the water every few days because the new heaters make the water evaporate super super super fast!!!
EmmyFishyPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #44 
JBonez423
Member
 
JBonez423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CT, soon CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyFishyPoo View Post
Well I am not planning on taking out the filter as my tanks are doing well right now :) I also got a heater but before that (my house is very cold) the tempurature in the tanks was like... 70. Also I clean the tank 2 times a week, both about a 50-75% water change. I also top up the water every few days because the new heaters make the water evaporate super super super fast!!!
Perfect, sounds like you're doing all the right things! =] I'm with you on the filter, I know some bettas don't like them but mine actually love their filter! Plus anything to reduce water changes and make life less stressful for them is good in my book!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #45 
Breyercrazy
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Try brining this up;

Domestic Bettas are different from wild ones and their water is warmer in their habitat because it is closer tot he equator.
Breyercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #46 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Sorry i am late for this discussion but i really want to say something about not cycled and too clean tanks. I actually never cycled any of my tanks even my 5 gall tank. And for 2.5 gall i do 100% water changes every 5 days and for 5 gall every 9 days . I do rinse everything in the tank (gravel , plants, heater, even walls i rinse and wipe) So you guys will considerate it to be too clean. Well my oldest betta is about now 4.8 years old and my youngest one about will be 2 years. And the temperature is 76*. And my friend does the same and we don't have any problems . Sorry i am not arguing, it just the fact that it really not bad if you don't cycle .....I have 5 bettas
I don't think anyone thinks it's bad to not cycle a tank as long as you keep up the water changes :) Cycling just makes it easier, because you don't have to do as many water changes - I definitely couldn't cope if I had to do 100% changes on my tanks! I can't even lift my 5 gallon when it's more than half full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post

As for trying to convince your mum on certain things, I would definitely try to highlight that they are tropical fish and need heaters. I'm not gunna lie... none of my bettas have heaters. I'm on the fence about getting them one, since their tanks maintain steady at 75-77 degrees, and everyone is happy and active as can be. I think it's partially because this house is always so hot. My grandma likes to keep the heat at 80... at the very least. If your house is cold, simply explain to your mum that your environment is too cold and you're afraid they'll get sick.
I think this is a good example of when you don't need a heater. :) I pity you, having to live in 80F all the time, though! I hate the heat (says the girl who lives in Australia). I'd grab a heater just in case, though - it never hurts to have one on hand in case the heating breaks or a fish gets sick and needs warmer water for a boost. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #47 
JBonez423
Member
 
JBonez423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CT, soon CA.
Once I have the extra cash for it, I definitely want to get a few just in case! Especially for my grandma's fish, she insists on keeping it by the window. -.-" I actually love the heat lol I want to move to California one day, in fact. I do enjoy the cold, but only for about a month before I miss the warmth! Barely 4 months out of the year just doesn't cut it for me. =P
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heater really necessary? ILLBETHEJUDGE Betta Fish Care 17 03-16-2012 12:11 PM
Heater ?? Gamma Betta Fish Care 5 11-07-2011 03:17 PM
Is my heater on? titusthebetta Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 09-30-2011 08:28 PM
Should I get a heater or no?? MyBettaLudwig Betta Fish Care 22 01-17-2011 07:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.