Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 
LouiMon

How still does the surface need to be?

I just set up my ten gallon and filled it right to the top so there isn't a waterfall, but while there isn't a rough ripple, there is definitely movement on the surface... Is this a problem?

I could easily make something out of PVC to stop it, if it's needed.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

it should be totally fine. only baffle it if your fish has difficulties swimming due to the current
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #3 
Polkadot

It sounds good,but you will know if your Betta is having trouble with the current.With my 3 little boys tanks I placed a filter sponge (from a different brand filter which fit perfectly) over the spray bar leaving just one hole open,so the bubbles can still come out leaving the rest to soak down through the sponge.It has worked really well and there is next to no movement on the surface.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #4 
xjenuhfur

You should only have to baffle it if your fish is having problems with the current. Goblin never had a problem with current. Golem on the other hand hates it, so I've had to baffle my 10gal. I just used a plastic bottle like they show you on the forum here somewhere.

Or you can stuff your filter with sponge. That works too.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #5 
ryancalif

My betta seems to love water movement. Whenever I pour water in the tank, she always likes to swim under the water spot and ends up getting pushed down to the gravel. Lol. Then, she circles back around and does the same thing, over and over again.

She also loves to play in the stream of air bubbles created by my air stone.

So to answer the question here, I assume it depends on your betta. If she is constantly hiding out in a calm area of the tank away from any water movement, she probably doesn't like water movement.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #6 
DefStatic

I was curious about this as well. I have my Evolve 4 with the pump turned all the way down plus my added valve at a quarter, and I still feel like it is too much. I am going to turn it down to half on my extra valve before I put my Betta in.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

it really depends on your fish. ie. if you have a plakat...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

As has been said, fish are different, so it depends upon your guy. Mine HATE current of any type, so I stuck a sponge into the filter outflow and let it dangle down into the water. This makes ZERO water current, and my boys are happy. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

Is sponge filter still effective if it's baffled to not disturb the water surface all

I meant to post this on main board go there for answers.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #10 
bannlow2471

Polkadot and Bluefish, I am so glad to hear of others doing this. I did the same thing when I recently upgraded my veiltail's tank from a 2.5 gallon to a 5 gallon. The previous tank was an Aqueon with next to no current/ripple and while the much more aggressive current in the new tank didn't seem to bother Murray, it concerned me because I've read how Bettas prefer a calm surface. By putting one of my left over sponge filters from the Aqueon in front of the outflow on the new filter, it has drastically reduced the surface movement, and Murray seems to be happier with it like this.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote