Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #1 
LouiMon

How do I prepare the water for water changes?

I just bought the buckets and I'm not entirely sure if I need to age the water, if it needs to be heated or if I should condition it?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What size tank and what percent are you changing?
I never age, and I don't preheat water ever either (I just make it so they both feel the same when I put my hand in the tank and bucket).
Some things that I sometimes forget is turning off the heater and filter if they are going to be exposed. Important as if you forget you can break the equipment. Most heaters say to unplug 15 minutes before removing the water as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

I condition it with whatever conditioner you choose, and then let it set for a minimum of 30 minutes, preferably a couple of hours, just to make sure that the conditioner has gotten rid of all the chlorine. (It says it's instant, but I don't trust that completely.) You really don't need to age it unless you're doing that instead of using the conditioner...which I really wouldn't recommend if you're on city water, since the chloramines that are in most city water will never evaporate, and the water won't be safe without conditioner.

If you're going for the 30 minutes, I'd put the water in at whatever temp matches your tanks. If you're going to age it for a few hours, but it in a bit warmer, and let it cool.

I hope that helps!! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #4 
LouiMon

It's ten gallons and I'm planning on changing three gallons.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I use Prime, so I would treat the water with 0.3mls of Prime, give it a quick stir and put it in the tank, slowly, so that the temperature difference won't shock my fish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote