Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I don't understand why having water or air trapped in a cave would be dangerous. After all, you want water in there (it's for a fish!), and having an air bubble isn't going to hurt - bettas breathe air anyway. Seems wierd.

Odysseus never really used caves before, but he has a big terracotta pot now that I always find him resting in, when he hasn't burrowed under the leaves I use for substrate. He thinks he's a kuhli loach. :)
Well apparently it can harbor bad bacteria and parasites...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #13 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Well apparently it can harbor bad bacteria and parasites...
Fairly sure that harmful bacteria and parasites wouldn't limit themselves to just the cave, unless they can't handle light... I'd be really interested to see these people's sources, if they have any (and that's not ment to be critical - my geeky self really enjoys learning about this type of thing).
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Fairly sure that harmful bacteria and parasites wouldn't limit themselves to just the cave, unless they can't handle light... I'd be really interested to see these people's sources, if they have any (and that's not ment to be critical - my geeky self really enjoys learning about this type of thing).
They said that is from the stagnant water in the caves or any hollow ornament...Here's the article about it http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzon...ornaments-r439
It's tecunically about goldfish tanks, but still...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #15 
CrazyDiamond

I myself just had to remove a cave from my tank, something started growing on it, a really viscous slime but that has nothing to do with stagnant water or air bubbles :/
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

It looks like they mean the sort of ornament in that photo, rather than caves. I can see how nasties might build up in an ornament like that hollow bridge, in theory...maybe. Still, there doesn't seem to be any scientific reasoning behind the article, other than the person had that kind of ornament and their fish got dropsy. Correlation is, after all, not the same as causation.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #17 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
It looks like they mean the sort of ornament in that photo, rather than caves. I can see how nasties might build up in an ornament like that hollow bridge, in theory...maybe. Still, there doesn't seem to be any scientific reasoning behind the article, other than the person had that kind of ornament and their fish got dropsy. Correlation is, after all, not the same as causation.
+1
Seeing as there are so many fishkeepers who use caves of some sort, I'd think that there would be more data out there if it was a major issue. Maybe I'll check some of my school's academic journal databases tomorrow and see if anything comes up there - sometimes there're some articles that are pretty aplicable to aquariums.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Well that's what I thought at first, but then they told me that caves cause the same problem.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #19 
bniebetta

I think if you are worried about it, you might consider rinsing or removing the decoration during a water change, it will help you clean the substrate underneath it anyway :) I don't think you should be too worried about it
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #20 
Tikibirds

The only I see it as being dangerous is if the entrance is too small and the fish gets stuck or they are not made for aquariums

Quote:
Well apparently it can harbor bad bacteria and parasites.
I never heard of parasites chilling in JUST a cave. Ditto for bacteria. Maybe if you never remove the item for cleaning you will get an accumulation of poop aroound the cave but that is neither bacteria or a parasite...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-20-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote