Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #1 
girlpower31

Question HI, Betta Breeder, anyone!?

I need help, anyone know a good betta breeder in kc ks/mo area? Need newly sexed fry for starting my breeding program that are under budget for a teen who don't work.
girlpower31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #2 
iamntbatman

Can't say I know of any breeders in that area, but keep in mind that the breeding stock themselves definitely aren't going to be your biggest expense. Setting up even a very basic breeding operation can cost a lot of money, as you'll need tanks for your breeding stock, a tank to breed them in (a 15g or 20 long would be great), something like a 40g breeder for the fry to grow out in (and for the females once you separate by sex), gallon glass jars for all of the males, air pumps and air stones for all of these jars, filters, heaters, lights for the tanks, plus live food cultures for the fry. All told you're looking at at least $500 or so to set up the operation, even if you buy a lot of the stuff second-hand.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #3 
girlpower31

well, I have a ten gallon tank w/ heater and filter, and around 15 bowls for males, I have read you can reduce amount of fry per spawn by not allowing more than like 5 embraces. Food for fry though, whne I was searching online, I saw when I was getting my pet store bettas, (required school project), Petsmart sells baby betta food. Know anything about that?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You need to do a lot of research before breeding so you will know exactly what you'll be getting into and also what you'll be needing. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think babies do better with live food such as microworms, baby brine shrimp or vinegar eels.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #5 
iamntbatman

Even baby brine shrimp are too large for very young fry. The microworms or vinegar eels are definitely your best option. Also, is the food you're talking about Hikari Betta Bio-Gold? For some reason the package says "baby pellet" on it, but they're definitely just a standard sized betta pellet. There are powdered and liquid fry foods available, but generally it's difficult to get young fry to eat these foods so live is really the best option. These fish are capable of having hundreds of fish in a single spawn, so interrupting them during the spawn may work but you may still end up with a ton of fish. You will also need a much larger aquarium than the 10g for all of the female fry.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #6 
girlpower31

ok, heres the web-link for the food i'm talking about: Atison's Betta Starter - Food - Fish - PetSmart
Old 10-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #7 
girlpower31

this is actual fry food, not "baby" pellets
Old 10-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #8 
iamntbatman

The betta breeding guides I've read, and the personal experience I've heard from betta breeders, says that live foods are definitely the way to go for young betta fry. However, there are testimonials written about that food, and people certainly have luck with using prepared fry foods with other types of fry. If I were you, and was interested in trying the prepared food, I would have live foods on hand anyway just in case.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #9 
Kim

What are you planning on doing with the fry when they mature?

I agree, breeding bettas is a huge responsibility and you really need to make sure that you are prepared beforehand. For starters, you are going to need a *lot* more tanks as well as heaters (or a heated room) and filters, and I am pretty sure that live food is the way to go.

Honestly, I would love to have baby bettas, but I just don't have the time or money involved. Another thing to think of is are you going to have the time to feed 100 baby bettas throughout the day, making sure they all get the right amount (especially when they move on to pellets or such) and if you choose to keep the males in jars you are talking daily to every other day water changes in all the jars. That's a lot of time and effort.

Just some food for thought.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #10 
girlpower31

i'm thinking of selling to friends, as well as a local petstore that in my opinion, REALLY needs better quality bettas, the ones I've bought from them die like immediately