Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #11 
JBonez423

Hmm... maybe try what Blue Fish does, get a smaller filter for your tank? I can't say I've had this problem yet, my guys seem to love their filter but they're also juveniles, so they might end up hating it lol.

Someone had posted something awhile back, it was a sponge that actually went around the filter, to really baffle the flow. I wish I could find it, but with some googling you might be able to!

You could also rubber band a sponge around the lip of the filter so it trickles through instead of plopping into the water. If you have a lid, you can also raise the water level so the drips have less distance to fall and don't disturb the water as much.

I also would suggest googling "How to baffle a filter". A whole bunch of different ideas popped up! =]
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #12 
JBonez423

I like this idea, too, if you wanna get crafty!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #13 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
Hmm... maybe try what Blue Fish does, get a smaller filter for your tank? I can't say I've had this problem yet, my guys seem to love their filter but they're also juveniles, so they might end up hating it lol.

Someone had posted something awhile back, it was a sponge that actually went around the filter, to really baffle the flow. I wish I could find it, but with some googling you might be able to!

You could also rubber band a sponge around the lip of the filter so it trickles through instead of plopping into the water. If you have a lid, you can also raise the water level so the drips have less distance to fall and don't disturb the water as much.

I also would suggest googling "How to baffle a filter". A whole bunch of different ideas popped up! =]
You're thinking of the wrong kind of filter , this person has a sponge filter set up not an HOB.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #14 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
You're thinking of the wrong kind of filter , this person has a sponge filter set up not an HOB.
Oops! My apologies. I'm still pretty new at this and thought they would work kind of the same way.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #15 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
Oops! My apologies. I'm still pretty new at this and thought they would work kind of the same way.
If you want to see the difference, click the link in my signature to learn about sponge filters.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #16 
JBonez423

Thanks, will do! =]
Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #17 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
How do you define not working? Is based on water testing, Whether the tank looks clear or picking up debris? I am curious.

I actually have two of those which I am on the fence about keeping. I bought the fluval sponge for baffling them. The thing I like about the sponge filters is that I don't have to replace cartridges. I will be setting up a 20 gallon divided soon and I may try one on that tank with some sponge filters to extend coverage. Right now I have two "sets" 2 gallons and two 5 gallons that I am running these sponge filters on. The main thing I hate about the sponge filters is they look ugly but I am working a camouflage idea
Sorry, I just came back to this today, and I know it's been a few days, but I have an answer to at least *part* of your dilemma. You don't have to change the cartridges on a waterfall or HOB filter. I thought you did as well, and asked a question about it on here, and was told that many people never change the cartridges at all. Or only after many months, even a year, when the cartridge just fell apart. I've also had people tell me that they took out the cartridge altogether and stuck an aquarium sponge in there instead. It basically works the same way that a sponge filter does, providing air and space for the BB, but in a different format.

Please don't think I'm trying to dissuade anyone from using a sponge filter! I understand they are fantastic filters, cheap, and easily made at home. I just wanted to let you know about alternatives if you were unable to get a sponge filter to work for you. :)
To each their own. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #18 
jadaBlu

I think my sponge filters are going to be more useful in a bigger tank. They are keeping the water clear but I don't think it's doing much else. I am using four 2 gallons for some fish until I cycle what will be a divide tank. I did find that once I added more adjustable T valves and ran three tanks off of one pump. Now the flow is not very disturbing to the surface for all my fish except one. The female is small and I don't think she likes the filter at all. She gets pretty happy when it's off. I also found the sponges get smelly when baffling the flow. I think you'd almost need to clean them daily to avoid breed undesirable bacteria.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #19 
Blue Fish

I had a friend I set up a sponge filter for, and we ended up wrapping it in craft mesh and had the mesh extend up above the top of the water, this seemed to help a bit to block off the flow of the bubbles. :) Maybe your girl could tolerate that? :) And hopefully once she gets bigger she won't mind as much. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #20 
JBonez423

What about a filter like this? http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%...Pricelist.html I really like how gentle it looks and want one myself, looks like everything stays real still.