Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
kelikani

Unhappy Why is my female so aggressive all of a sudden?

Okay so here's the thing. I have a 20 gal with one female Betta, 3 (used to be 5) Neon tetras, two dwarf frogs, and a baby pleco.

I've had the frogs and tetras since November last year. I added in Esor (the female betta) in January. The pleco joined in last month. (and yes, I know those things get big. I will upgrade when it is needed.)

For three entire months everything went dandy in the little tank. Last week I noticed that one of my neon tetras were missing. Tonight I confirmed that Esor was the killer when I saw her rip the head off of one. Now she chases the fish around and nips at everything she sees.

I'm down to three tetras and don't want to lose any more. I'm also concerned about my frogs and pleco. I don't want any limbs broken or an eye plucked out. Why did Esor turn aggressive so fast and is there anything I can do about other than taking her out and putting her in solitary?

Thank you for reading.
Here's the criminal herself.
kelikani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

She has the cold, dead eyes of a killer.

In all seriousness, bettas are unpredictable fish. They can be absolutely fine with everybody for months, sometimes years, then turn into psychopathic murderers for no reason that we can see. That's part of why sororities are so risky.

Try pulling her out, re-arranging things and then re-introducing her. If that doesn't work, I think she may have to go into solitary permanently.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
She has the cold, dead eyes of a killer.

In all seriousness, bettas are unpredictable fish. They can be absolutely fine with everybody for months, sometimes years, then turn into psychopathic murderers for no reason that we can see. That's part of why sororities are so risky.

Try pulling her out, re-arranging things and then re-introducing her. If that doesn't work, I think she may have to go into solitary permanently.
THIS. ALL of this LMAO.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote