Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #1 
toddkelly12

Exclamation Please help betta trouble!!!

my new crowntailed betta is in his new home. its a 15 gallon tank. i have a whisper water filter and he got STUCK ON THE INTAKE. i made it home and saved him but how can i fix this problem??? PLEASE HELP
toddkelly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #2 
Little-Fizz

Oh my, well what damage is done? Are his fins ripped or torn? Or does he seem sick? You can cover the filter intake with nylon socks or panty hose... Whatever you want to call them. That way he can't get anything sucked into the filter, how strong is this filter? Normally a healthy fish is strong enough to pull themselves off the filter.

I'm glad to hear you got your betta a 15 gallon tank!! Did you cycle the tank first?
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

The Whisper filter should have an adjustable flow rate. Bettas don't like a lot of water flow, so you might want to turn that down a bit. You can also try putting some netting (like pantyhose) over the filter intake.

Is the fish injured at all? Are his fins torn? Are any scales missing? If not, he should recover just fine. If he's showing signs of injury, something like Bettafix could help speed up the healing process.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #4 
toddkelly12

the filter is pretty strong. i only got the 10 gallon filter for the very reason of there being too much flow. he is very healthy and can easily swim from the bottom of the tank to the top. he lost a small piece of fin in the process. im just worried about him getting stuck again
Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #5 
toddkelly12

and the tank cycled with water from the bowl of my other beta for 3 days
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #6 
Kim

I hollowed out a piece of sponge and slipped it over the intake when I brought my betta home. Sometimes it is just because they have never seen a filter before (don't know if that is the case with you though). I also agree that you should turn the flow down, I think most whisper filters have that option. Just turn the little plastic ridge on top of the intake tube to the desired flow rate.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #7 
toddkelly12

the problem is that it is an in-tank filter. i dont think there is a regulator. also instead of an intake tube it it a grid on the front. i am going to try double layering some pantyhose and see what happens. he is the coolest betta i have ever see. his body is pearl and changes to turqoise. his fins are red and change to blue and purple.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #8 
Haeclark

sounds like a beautiful beta...hope everything is going well! :D
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #9 
spiritwolf7984

if u can finda foam filter he should be fine with one of those its easyer to work with and im going to buy asilent one as soon as i set up my new tank
spiritwolf7984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 AM   #10 
okiemavis

A healthy betta won't get stuck to a filter intake. Unfortunately, he's probably lost a lot of muscle from being in a tiny cup for so long. However, provided that's all that's going on, he should heal up in no time.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish help