Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #11 
SamJustice

There's a whole thread on ADF care here, actually. A lot of people do.

I've never heard of anyone just sitting filter media in the tank so it gains bacteria, pretty sure it has to go through the cycle, or sit right up against the cycled media..

Last edited by SamJustice; 03-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #12 
Leopardfire

Do you think that if I squeeze my filter sponges from the cycled tank over the uncycled filter that it might cycle faster? Would this hurt the cycled bacteria?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
There's a whole thread on ADF care here, actually. A lot of people do.

I've never heard of anyone just sitting filter media in the tank so it gains bacteria, pretty sure it has to go through the cycle, or sit right up against the cycled media..
I do it. :) It doesn't make it cycled, as there is no real water flow over it, but, like the substrate, it still ends up housing some good bacteria. It won't make for an instant cycle, but it will help speed it up or kickstart it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
Do you think that if I squeeze my filter sponges from the cycled tank over the uncycled filter that it might cycle faster? Would this hurt the cycled bacteria?
It does help. You might see a mini-cycle in your established tank, but I doubt it. After all, it's not really any different to giving your filter sponge a rinse, which we all do now and again to get any excess gunk off. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, adding fish, cycling, ready water