Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #1 
Ciel101

new owner with sick fishy, not eating.

My boyfriend got a me a betta named ciel about two or three weeks ago at walmart.
  1. He's not been eating
  2. He's fins aren't clamped
  3. He's pretty active darting around and swiming fast.
  4. Comes to me
  5. Has new white spots below eye's just appeared today.
  6. He at first didn't show interest in food, got blood worms and treat wheel. He takes a bite and spits it back out. The food is pellets.
Picture

Housing

What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76 is what the internal glass thermometer says.
Does your tank have a filter?yes an whisper i3 that bubbles badly so i turned it off untill i can find a new filter.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes treta 2-5 gallon heater.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
tetrabetta or API betta food.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
50% every three days and full once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
stress coat, Seachem Neutral Regulator, and aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?
not yet, going to pet smart tomorrow. If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
white spots under eye's
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
won't eat food, spits it out.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
about a week after i got him. when he still would not eat.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that i know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure
Ciel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
callistra

He has popeye for sure, usually this is from poor water conditions but if you are doing 50% water change every 3 days and 100% once a week that is good.

Can you share a full body/fin photo please?

What is the normal ph of your tap water? Please discontinue using neutral regulator. It is not a good product and just causes lots of ph swings that will never stabilize. Bettas can adapt to a wide ranch of ph but the constant swings are very hard on him. They can even be lethal. He may not be eating because he is too stressed by the ph swings. As long as your tap water is below 9, he will be find. Just make sure when you discontinue neutral regulator, you do many small water changes over days to acclimate him very slowly to the new ph, especially if you don't know just how wide the difference is.

Aquarium salt also needs to be discontinued. It is only safe to use up to 2 weeks, and it should only be used in cases where there is an actual infection. Using it longer or when tehre is not an actual infection will just breed resistant strains that will make the salts worthless if he were to ever really get sick. Also, using salt too long can lead to premature organ failure. I am very concerned that the popeye is the result of too much salt/too long because it is actually a fluid build up behind the eye and the salt can definitely contribute to this.

The pellets you have are not good.You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week. I highly suggest New Life Spectrum Betta. Your LFS may carry it, and most Petcos also carry it. You can also order it online.

Also soaking your pellets in seachem garlic guard for 5-10 minutes or so will help entice picky eaters.

If his popeye does not go away on its own in a week or two with the above changes, he may need a different kind of salt that will actually help pull the fluids off the eye.. but this is a good start.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 
Ciel101

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He has popeye for sure, usually this is from poor water conditions but if you are doing 50% water change every 3 days and 100% once a week that is good.

Can you share a full body/fin photo please?

What is the normal ph of your tap water? Please discontinue using neutral regulator. It is not a good product and just causes lots of ph swings that will never stabilize. Bettas can adapt to a wide ranch of ph but the constant swings are very hard on him. They can even be lethal. He may not be eating because he is too stressed by the ph swings. As long as your tap water is below 9, he will be find. Just make sure when you discontinue neutral regulator, you do many small water changes over days to acclimate him very slowly to the new ph, especially if you don't know just how wide the difference is.

Aquarium salt also needs to be discontinued. It is only safe to use up to 2 weeks, and it should only be used in cases where there is an actual infection. Using it longer or when tehre is not an actual infection will just breed resistant strains that will make the salts worthless if he were to ever really get sick. Also, using salt too long can lead to premature organ failure. I am very concerned that the popeye is the result of too much salt/too long because it is actually a fluid build up behind the eye and the salt can definitely contribute to this.

The pellets you have are not good.You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week. I highly suggest New Life Spectrum Betta. Your LFS may carry it, and most Petcos also carry it. You can also order it online.

Also soaking your pellets in seachem garlic guard for 5-10 minutes or so will help entice picky eaters.

If his popeye does not go away on its own in a week or two with the above changes, he may need a different kind of salt that will actually help pull the fluids off the eye.. but this is a good start.

I have a API ph test kit (the one that you add drops too and compare colors. it says 7.0. When i test after using the stuff it says 7.0 But i will stop using it. I did a 50% change before work, and added this stuff. should i do a small change tonight?
I thought it was bad. but we only have a walmart and petsmrt. My LFS is really small but i'll check it for the food if not i'll order it online.
can you get seachem garlic guard at petsmart?
We have well water so do i need to do anything to the water?

I have a small little girl in a1.5 gallon tank(ciel's old tank) and she is eating alittle and if fine. she gets the same stuff as ciels tank. So stop everything with her too?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #4 
callistra

He looks really good.. I don't see anything to be concerned with except the odd white marks.

I do have a couple of concerns..

that hole in the terracotta pot.. it is too small. It needs to be completely plugged up, by like taking a rock and some aquarium safe silicone and gluing it up, or by knocking it out much bigger. Bettas are notorious for trying to shove themselves into places they don't fit and many a betta has been seriously injured or killed on them.. actually.. I wonder if his nose isn't from him rubbing against the sides trying to get through..

My other concern is the betta hammock. Have you removed the metal?

Some Seachem products can be tricky to find I guess. I don't think petsmart carries it, but you can call and see if they have it. I get it at my LFS that stocks most seachem products. Wherever you found the NR likely has the garlic guard.

I would stop neutral regulator with everyone. What's the ph of the water right out of your tap without the chemicals?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #5 
Ciel101

Ok just ran a ph test. it's showing 6.0-6.2 So it is swinging. It was 7.0 two hours ago.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #6 
Ciel101

The betta hammock is all plastic. I'll do that with the pot.
I found the NR at our asheville petsmart. Old stuff from when i had fish two years ago. So get better food and garlic guard to see if he eats? and try to get the ph back to 7.0

Our water is 7.0 untreated i think. i'll check.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #7 
callistra

There's actually metal in the stem. There's lots of talk across many forums about it. If you take it off hte suction cup and look down teh stem you will see it. Most people remove it with tweezers. If you don't it will eventually rust and poison your fish. Some fish have become VERY stick and some have died.

That's very acidic for tap water... What water are you using? Are you using regular tap water? Do you filter it at all.. filter on tap, whole house or anything like that?

Better food, garlic guard, and stable ph is what I am suggesting.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #8 
Ciel101

Just tested it's 6.0 right out of the tap. That's coming from the ground, not filters or anything. ok, i will do that. He doesn't like the hammock much so I may take it out. He likes the top of he's fake green silk plant better.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #9 
Ciel101

Update:
I got the water tested on monday.
ciels tank
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness: 10
Alkalinity:

Sebell's tank:
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.3
Hardness: 10
Alkalinity:

My LFS doesn't sell New Life spectrum food, but had garlic guard.
So I ordered online, NLS betta and NLS Therm A small fish. Plus a new marine i25 filter and bio-orb silk plants. I had ones the had metal in them.
I can't find the metal wire in the hammock but took it out just incase.

On the garlic guard i soaked the food and ciel would not even taste it. I finely put him in his cup today and feed him in it, so I could see if he ate the food.I put two pellets in and he wouldn't touch them so iIleft him in there for a bit. When I came back he had ate. So maybe he doesn't like people watching him eat.....

Also how can i raise the ph to 7.0? or is it better to leave it be?