Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #1 
quietlythundering

My poor Neil is bloated! (Long story...)

This weekend I went across town to spend the weekend with my mom, stepdad, and little brothers because one of my brothers is a math wizard and I needed help studying for an upcoming midterm. I asked my grandmother to feed my bettas for me (I live with my grandparents, and I hate asking but I really needed math help.) She also feeds them for me when I have to stay with my great-grandfather Thursday nights (he has Alzheimer's, so someone HAS to be with him at all times) so she's fed my fish before, with great results! But this time was different; I left Saturday afternoon and come back tonight, and I noticed food EVERYWHERE in everyone's tanks (ahem, all four of them!) I should say I'm lucky that only my poor Neil (male VT, the alpha of my group) is bloated, but it's still all bad......his stomach is noticeably protruding, and he can't swim down.
I immediately cupped him and everyone else, because I refuse to run the risk of everyone else getting it too, and am going to clean everyone's tanks out tomorrow morning and only feed them once a day for the next four days in case they're at risk too. Neil however, will be fasting for the next three, and after given small amounts of food until he's all better.
Am I handling this correctly? Is there anything else I should know? Please help!
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #2 
quietlythundering

I'd like to add that Neil's tank is a large kritter keeper, that has a heater (Hydor 7.5 watt) that stays at a consistent 78 degrees, and has 100% water changes twice a week. It doesn't have a filter, but there is an airstone, and I condition the water with both stress coat and stress zyme by API. Tank cleaning days are Mondays and Fridays. In addition, he was perfectly healthy before the onset of bloat, so at least I have that on my side.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #3 
callistra

They're not contagious. They were just overfed. I'm also worried for the water quality in your tank now though because all that food could have easily if not likely caused an ammonia spike.

More info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

In the meantime I would fast them all at least a few days, maybe up to a week week and use epsom salt. For the one that is bloated, do not feed again until a lot of poop has passed and the belly bloat is gone. The Epsom salt needs to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate. The ingredients label must be checked. It should not smell and it should be white. I get mine from CVS Pharmacy. Predissolve 1 tsp per gallon outside the container and add slowly over an hour. alts do not evaporate or break down. Redose along with your water changes

Last edited by callistra; 03-18-2013 at 04:41 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #4 
callistra

forum error.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #5 
quietlythundering

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
They're not contagious. They were just overfed. I'm also worried for the water quality in your tank now though because all that food could have easily if not likely caused an ammonia spike.

More info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

In the meantime I would fast them all at least a few days, maybe up to a week week and use epsom salt. For the one that is bloated, do not feed again until a lot of poop has passed and the belly bloat is gone. The Epsom salt needs to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate. The ingredients label must be checked. It should not smell and it should be white. I get mine from CVS Pharmacy. Predissolve 1 tsp per gallon outside the container and add slowly over an hour. alts do not evaporate or break down. Redose along with your water changes
Housing
What size is your tank?
-Large kritter keeper, or I believe anywhere from 2.5 to 3 gallons.

What temperature is your tank?
-A consistent 78 degrees.

Does your tank have a filter?
-No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
-Yes, a large airstone

Is your tank heated?
-Yup, with a Hydor 7.5 watt submersible

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
-None; his tank would need to be bigger in order to be able to support two beings in the same space.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
-A mixture of flakes(first ingredient fish protein), fine-crushed krill, freeze-dried daphinia, mysis, brine shrimp, and bloodworms. Everything has been crushed and mixed together.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
-Their regular feeding schedule was two small meals a day, in the morning and at night, and it was a pinch per meal that was consumable in no more than under a minute.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
-Twice a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
-100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
-API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
-I am unsure of the water parameters, but I'll pick up a test tomorrow along with the Epsom salt.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
-Last night, his stomach was protruding, but otherwise he looked the same.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
-Last night, his buoyancy increased and he was unable to stay at the bottom of his tank. Otherwise, he was still the same.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
-as soon as I walked through my bedroom door when I got home. I immediately went over to say hi, only to discover the unpleasantness that is bloat.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
-Already removed from regular environment, and fasting has begun. Just received advice, and will retrieve said items first thing in the morning.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
-Neil had the Ich back when I first adopted him, but I treated him with Maracide for a week (as instructed) and he recovered like a champ! Also tore a bit of his bottom fin on a decoration that has since been removed, but it is a minor tear and is showing signs of regrowth.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
-Unsure. I adopted him from a local (not big-chain) store about the same time I joined this forum in January.

Thank you! I know it's not contagious, but it was the same for everyone's tanks, minus the bloat, which is why I quickly took them out (couldn't have them eating all that excess food!) Neil is a lot better (he doesn't float back to the top, tummy is not as protruding) but I won't take any chances. I'm afraid I'm at a lack of Epsom salt, but I'll pick some up tomorrow morning from our local CVS, and a test from the nearby petsmart (which, coincidentally, is in the same plaza!)
What type of container should I predissolve it in? And in how much water? I have a small kritter keeper that I don't use; would that be appropriate? Also, does he have to be in the tank when I add it? I'm cleaning tanks tomorrow, and I let them sit 24 hours before I put everyone back in. is it fine to add the salts and let it sit for all that time before I add Neil back in, or would the effectiveness have died out? I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid; I don't want to leave anything to chance. Neil is the first of my bunch, and my favorite. Thank you for bearing with me; I greatly appreciate your help, and I will dutifully follow your advice.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #6 
quietlythundering

Update: Neil is doing a lot better! I looked everything up, and did what I was supposed to do, and he isn't bloated anymore. Thank you for all your help Callistra!