Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #11 
shushcat

Just to clarify, the tank is divided so that each betta has his side, and then in the middle, between the mesh dividers, is the heater and filter. I can't see on the other side, and they haven't noticed each other.

Anyway, his color has improved since I came home from work, but now I notice sometimes he's twitching :\ I checked him with a flashlight, and he doesn't have anything that looks like velvet or ich.

However, just now I caught him "flapping" his gills very rapidly (one gill is still out more than the other), and again all these bubbles came out. He seemed very distressed by it, and tiny bubbles continued to come out even though he'd calmed down.
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #12 
shushcat

I'm having a hard time distinguishing the colors, but the first image is ammonia in my tap water, and the second is the tank currently (did another large water change afterwards!).
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #13 
shellieca

Lay the vial on a white towel or something instead of on the card, it makes a difference.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #14 
shushcat

I don't have them any more, but I'll be sure to do that later tonight when I test again, thank you!

His color seems to be changing drastically around his face. This morning, it was all grey, then the color came back when I was home, and then it paled again. I want him to rest, but he keeps swimming around and twitching

This is what he looks like as of like twenty minutes ago (when he was actually resting).
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #15 
shushcat

I thought they were just pale spots on his head from stress, but it looks kind of scary in the photos Is this a fungal thing? Parasite? The other betta is just fine (I was actually photographing him when Eris decided he wanted to come out ), so I'm not sure.

I'll try to get clearer photos of his head later tonight.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #16 
shushcat

It's symmetrical, which just makes me think it's paleness but idk I'm just really worried.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #17 
shushcat

Eris is still hanging in there and has neither gotten better nor worse. I've been doing large water changes, and I've been dissolving aquarium salt every 12 hours.

He definitely still has an appetite, but while he used to be able to eat the pellets with no problem, he's having a hard time keeping them in his mouth (not spitting them out). Yesterday morning he was able to eat two pellets, zero pellets last night, and one today.

Is it because of the size? The Omega pellets are smaller, aren't they? In addition to being better, would having a smaller pellet help?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #18 
shushcat

I bought smaller pellets, but it doesn't seem to help - he still has the same difficulty with keeping them in his mouth even when I cut them up. And when I cut them up again, he won't even acknowledge them. Would cupping him for feeding work? Has anyone had trouble with a normally healthy betta becoming sick and suddenly having this problem?

/posts into the void again