Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #1 
jyacaman

Talking Wonders

I just got a new male crown tailed betta fish. He is Purple, aquamarine, and while red. I got him a small tank with some pebbles and a fake ornament in the middle of the tank. He seems happy.

I heard that when you place a mirror infornt of betta fish, they open their beautiful fins. I also heard that was bad for them. They say it increases they're stress levle. IS that true?

I also had this question: do computers or any electronic devices near the betta fish are bad for there health?

please answer my question as soon as posible. Thanks.
jyacaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Putting a mirror in front of them once in awhile isn't going to hurt them. Leaving it there for long periods of time might stress them out. My males are all side by side in their bowls and it doesn't bother them. I think they are smart enough to figure out that they can't get to each other and just ignore each other. As for being near a computer or electronics, I have no idea.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think putting a mirror in front of them once in awhile will hurt them. I have my males next to each other in their separate bowls and they don't seem to be bothered. I think that they are smart enough to know that they can't get each other.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

oops. I didn't think the first one went through!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #5 
xst3ph90x

Putting a mirror next to a betta's tank every once in a while, is GOOD for them. It gives them some exercise! Just don't leave it there for too long!
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #6 
Kim

Everything in moderation.

A short period in front of a mirror is good for bettas. Gets the hormones going (their color will actually intensify a bit when flaring) and gives them some exercise. When I show my male betta the mirror he will usually go to work on his bubble nest the second the mirror is taken away. The problem arises when the reflection is constant. This will make the betta feel the need to always "defend his turf" which causes high stress levels.

Sorry, I don't know about the computer thing.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #7 
stephenmontero

In terms of the computers and electronics I dont think that is the problem. Just be careful of the heat such things like computers and electronics produce. This could raise the water temp to something uncomfortable. Also, depending on your sound system and speakers if your fish is to close to your speakers and you listen at high volumes it does in fact vibrate your water which i believe would stress the fish.
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote