Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #11 
MADxMAC771

from what i understand, color changes can occur from stress (they would be more pale), temperature changes (more vibrant when introduced to higher temp water), and exhaustion.

I have noticed all but the third in my own betta who paled after being introduced to a new tank, fearing the new environment. He also gained some blue tints in his tail and fins after having a heater put in raising the temp from 74 to 79.

Don't listen to all the people in the pet store world telling you all the ways a betta "can" survive. A human being could survive in a 1 room shack, with no central air and a cup to pee in, but that doesn't mean it would be a pleasant existence. I still argue every day with my girlfriend about what NEEDS to be done to ensure the health of our betta. She calls me obsessed and over worried when I say "we need to do a 30% water chance tomorrow". Heed all the advice you get here from senior members.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #12 
blu1

Yes, that's true. That's why I'm in this forum so I can gather as much info and advices. Been learning a lot of new things! Thank you all!

Anyone know why my vieltail is always sinking and why my crowntail is always floating?
blu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

3 pellets 3 times a day is a little much to be giving your fish. It may be that they have swimbladder disorder from overfeeding. Try 2-3 pellets twice a day and see if that helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #14 
Kim

I would also give them a fasting day to help their stomachs return to normal size and stop compressing their swimbladders (if this is indeed the cause).
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #15 
iamntbatman

Swimbladder disorder is definitely a possibility for either (or both) fish. However, there could be other causes - the fish that is "sinking" could just be resting on the bottom due to lethargy. Bettas become lethargic when their water isn't warm enough. They also will become lethargic when they're being exposed to ammonia. The betta that "floats" could just be staying at the top in order to gasp for air, again due to poor water quality.

I agree though - 3 pellets 3 times a day is a bit much and could be causing problems, and allowing them to fast will certainly help things return to normal. Getting their water quality in tip-top shape should be your number one priority. Getting them larger homes with heaters and filters, as well as learning about the aquarium cycle and how to monitor water quality will prolong the lives of your fish and make them much, much happier.

The fuzziness over the eyes could be a fungal infection, likely brought on by poor water quality. There are anti-fungal medications available, but I would urge you to do what you can to improve water quality before using any sort of medication.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #16 
mattyphilly

my guess is that the water u added during the first water change was too cold.
the betta in the second pic appears to have a case of bloat. hopefully not.

Betta's are such beautiful fish...somehow i always feel sorry for them
mattyphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #17 
trevorlay

White spots could be Ick.. I dunno bout it being fuzzy.. are there any other white spots on the fish at all? (look close) My Betta is just getting over Ick, He is the sole survivor..
trevorlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #18 
Kim

I'm guessing that the origional shock was from a rapid change in water parameters. Since they are in small bowls, I am guessing that you did a 100% water change. Your tap water probably has a different pH and hardness than the pet store's water. Couple that with the temperature difference and your fish probably went into shock. If his eye looks white and fuzzy, then it may be fungal. Once you get them more suitable homes and increase the water quality if it seems to be still getting worse you may have to medicate. I have had great luck with Jungle Labs products and they have one for fungus called Fungus Clear.

Are there any other symptoms? Any chance for a picture?

I am glad that you are going to get them a suitable home, they will love you for it!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote