Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #111 
SamJustice

Oh. I just found this! So interesting. I can't wait to see just how they'll look. I may take a boy, when they're ready. So I'll be keeping my eye on this. =3
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #112 
Myates

lol thanks :) And sure!

I did a cull today.. not as much as I originally planned.. only did around 50-100. Sadness...

Started with trying to siphon out the small ones.. but they were too quick. Then used a net which wasn't too bad as long as they weren't at the side of the tank..
The I started using a 32oz cup to take out water and was able to grab more that way. Ugh.. will cull a little more each water change. Hate doing it this early, but have to bring the numbers down some in order for the survivors to grow/flourish. Otherwise I would need to purchase a few more 30gs just to hold them all. So for now, have them split up between 2 30gs.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #113 
Xaltd1

Couldn't you get a couple of rubbermaid storage tubs w/ heaters to grow them out?
How do you cull?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #114 
bettacrazygirl86

I wish I were able to start my sorority now! I'd take a few girls from you. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #115 
Myates

They won't be ready for another 1-2 months... so you have time :) lol

Xalltd1-
Yes and no.. I could get more containers, but it will still mean I have well over 500 juveniles to care for - if 300+ are males (bred them in higher temps) then that means 300+ jars cleaning daily, etc etc.. it's a lot of work. Just doing the water changes on the two grow out tanks daily with an airline tubing and having to be careful not to suck up fry I don't want to cull.. replacing a total of 30+ gallons slowly and careful.. that takes an hour+ easily. Add in I have about 15+ individual small tanks for the breeding pairs and a few that need to grow up a bit more that will be bred in F1 and F2 series of my show fish.. so all of those individual containers + checking to make sure they are healthy, etc is another hour+. Also have plant tanks among community tanks (raising baby Ancistrus plecos and pregnant balloon mollies as well, and pet bettas..) and the feedings, which varies based on each fish (type of fish, age/size and preferences).. so my day for just cleaning and feeding takes roughly 4 hours total.

So adding in another couple hours with a couple extra grow outs and then hundreds more of jars.. it's a lot. Have a house to run, an 8 yr old autistic daughter, a dog, boyfriend and I'm a gamer.. all competing for attention as well. lol This was meant to be a small hobby lol. But a spawn this size, that has survived this long isn't common/normal.. and honestly it's recommended I cull to a reasonable amount. Give them a healthier life rather than a stunted, fighting for food kind of life.

As for culling.. and I use Clove oil and antacid tablets to put them to sleep. The I placed them outside in the garden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Started with trying to siphon out the small ones.. but they were too quick. Then used a net which wasn't too bad as long as they weren't at the side of the tank..
The I started using a 32oz cup to take out water and was able to grab more that way. Ugh.. will cull a little more each water change. Hate doing it this early, but have to bring the numbers down some in order for the survivors to grow/flourish. Otherwise I would need to purchase a few more 30gs just to hold them all. So for now, have them split up between 2 30gs.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #116 
Xaltd1

Wow! That's what I call a full plate!
I hadn't heard of antacids.
I have more time on my hands & I could easily handle more pets, BUT I have limited space. Isn't that always the way? When I had my big house, I had a child, dogs, cats, a job & pottery studio, a pond & garden...
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #117 
bettacrazygirl86

Even in one to two months, I won't be able to take them. :( Not unless I get my 10 gallon and something happens to Patriot, which I really hope nothing does. He's my baby. <3 Since I'm going off to college, I can only have a 10 gallon, and I could only have a small sorority in that, once it's planted and cycled. That's why, when I do get a sorority going, I want to get directly from a breeder so I can get siblings. :) That way they might get along better if they grew up together. I can't have a sorority unless something happens to Patriot though, since half of the 10 is gonna be his.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #118 
dramaqueen
Banned

Culling is sad but you've got to do what you've got to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #119 
Jayloo

Lots of times this is why I only condition my female for 1 week. Some websites you will read to condition them for 2+ weeks but I never do because they become TOO eggy. I usually feed them great for 5-7 days and let her go at it. Most of the time I get 100-150 and then have some die off but it's better than tending 500 fish and saves me the pain or guilt of killing them off. When I do cull I just feed them to the Oscar. At least that way they are being used... As nutrients.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #120 
tari5thatsme2

I am new here, and I have to say, seeing this post is just wonderful!!!!! Those babies are soooooo cute. I have 2 bettas now, both males, but I want to start a sorority soon. How much do they cost, and how do you ship them?
tari5thatsme2 is offline   Reply With Quote