Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #51 
fly0away0

Ouch...
fly0away0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #52 
iamntbatman

Just to weigh in on the Bettafix/Melafix debate...

I actually swear by the stuff for fin rot. It certainly isn't a cure-all, and I've never had success with it when used on its own, but I've had success using it in concert with Pimafix to treat fin rot on swordtails, guppies, tetras and bettas. Most of the bad press I've read regarding Melafix and anabantoids seems to indicate that it bothers the labyrinth organ when the fish breathe from the surface. Sure, these products contain oils that will collect at the surface, but this shouldn't happen if you dose correctly and have adequate surface agitation to prevent surface buildup of the oils.

However, for those who have had bad experiences with it and have found treatments that they like better, then there's certainly nothing wrong with that. To each his own.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #53 
fly0away0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
Just to weigh in on the Bettafix/Melafix debate...

I actually swear by the stuff for fin rot. It certainly isn't a cure-all, and I've never had success with it when used on its own, but I've had success using it in concert with Pimafix to treat fin rot on swordtails, guppies, tetras and bettas. Most of the bad press I've read regarding Melafix and anabantoids seems to indicate that it bothers the labyrinth organ when the fish breathe from the surface. Sure, these products contain oils that will collect at the surface, but this shouldn't happen if you dose correctly and have adequate surface agitation to prevent surface buildup of the oils.

However, for those who have had bad experiences with it and have found treatments that they like better, then there's certainly nothing wrong with that. To each his own.
thank you very much!!! I always thought betas prefer still water though?
but none the less I think I'll avoid it just in case... i dont want to take chances... O.o
fly0away0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #54 
dramaqueen
Banned

iamntbatman, I DID dose correctly and my betta looked SO miserable that I took him out of the stuff because I was afraid for him.I was afraid to leave him in for the last 2 days of the treatment. Do you think he could just be extra sensitive to it? I was really hoping it would help his finrot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #55 
iamntbatman

Without doing some sort of serious medical testing, I think it would be impossible to know whether your fish was miserable due to the medication or just the progression the fin rot had made by the time you began treatment. However, I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility that your fish was extra-sensitive or even allergic to it or something along those lines. Even without knowing for sure what caused him to be miserable, if I were you I wouldn't use the Melafix/Pimafix combination on that fish again. Better to err on the side of caution, right?

fly0away0, bettas are sensitive to a lot of water movement, especially male bettas with extensive finnage. However, even with minimal current in the tank, it's possible to have some surface agitation through the use of air stones, power filters, or canister filters equipped with surface skimmers, spray bars or both.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #56 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
iamntbatman, I DID dose correctly and my betta looked SO miserable that I took him out of the stuff because I was afraid for him.I was afraid to leave him in for the last 2 days of the treatment. Do you think he could just be extra sensitive to it? I was really hoping it would help his finrot.
I too use both Melafix and Pimafix...just now starting to work as I barley a week ago realized Blue wasn't healing right due to too much salt added + not enough water changes + not enough water removed when changed!!! :o

Dramaqueen...what is the med dose you added to bowl??
I know Bettafix has directions for per gallon...however Melafix / Pimafix only instructs per 10 gal [not by / per gal]...if your following directions then your over doseing the fish, wich would explain the weird behavior.
I would think it would be very hard to estimate the correct amount for a 1-2 gal bowl such as it sounds you have [unless your very good w/math, unlike me ;D ] so would think, therfore, you might even still not be giving him the correct dose...and would, therefor, in your case go for something more suted to smaller tanks, such as Bettafix is [was tols is pretty much delueted version of Melafix...OR you could try something such as a 5 gal bucket you could use to pre-make medicated water, and just measure 1/2 a teaspoon instead of instructed 1 tsp ;D ]

Also check you plants if theyre plastic...I thouht mine were fine but found it odd a week ago when I found Blue Bandits' tail went from healing to shredded worse then when he 1st got his rot, overnight!!! Took out his newest / biggest plant and gave it the "nylon test"...sure enough it made the nylon fray! Immediatly removed it, and Blue's been fine sence.

[***nylon test:
take a pantie hose / aka nylon, into on e hand, place partsially, yet not too loose / tight over hand like mit + opening fingers to extend / create "streched streched surface area" [again, not too tight] so that nylon is not restin on skin, but instead suspended between fingers. Take testing plant, and brush without any pressure or force accross nylon. Check to see if any frays / snaggs created. If so...not beta or "angle tail" safe!!! :o ]
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #57 
dramaqueen
Banned

I got dosing info for bowls from Healthy Betta.com and it said 10 drops per gallon. I used 8 drops per gallon. I used the Melafix with Pimafix, 8 drops of each. I have used Bettafix in the past and I had no problem with it. I have my fish in gallon containers and one is in a gallon and a half container. I don't have plants.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #58 
iamntbatman

I believe Bettafix is Melafix ten times diluted. Even dosing correctly (or even a little less, as you did) with Melafix would still be substantially stronger than Bettafix.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #59 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you think he would react the same way to BettaFix or do you think it's diluted enough to not cause problems? Can I use Pimafix with BettaFix?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 11-07-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #60 
iamntbatman

The medications are safe to use together. I know that Bettafix and Melafix are the same medication, the "I believe" part was just about their concentration difference. I really can't predict if he would react the same way or not, so it might not be worth the risk.

Tags
bacteria, beta, infection, salt, treatment