Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
BettaQt89

Very Worried: Fin Rot, Popeye??

I just adopted two new Bettas last friday, well actually I was supposed to only be buying a tank but it came with the fish and naturally I was thrilled....until I realized what terrible shape these little guys were in! First of all I assumed they must be females since there Bettas and were being kept TOGETHER. Surprise, they weren't, the guy was just an idiot or didn't care. So long story short, they've been quarantined into a little 1/2 gallon KK and I've been dosing them with aquarium salts , doing 100% water changes each day. Well, on Wednesday I noticed that (the one I'm assuming is a female) one fish's eye was swollen and by the next day she had some white stuff near there. I'm going to post a pic, the best my camera would take....After seeing this I added some Melafix to the water after the next water change in addition to the aq salts and Thursday I bought Maracyn-Oxy, which my aquatics co-workers said was good for "Popeye". Other than looking very very odd she seems to be doing better in all other aspects (fin growth, swims to the front when I approach) oh and she does not really eat when I sprinkle flakes...any and I do mean ANY and all advice would be helpful. Please and thanks!!!
Attached Images

BettaQt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Aww, yea, that's pop eye.
Pop eye will either be from bacteria or from being poked in the eye.
If you are using the other drug, I'd probably take out the AQ salt and Melafix.
I would also add epsom salts (start at 1tsp/gallon, move up to 2tsp/gallon over a few days). To help reduce the swelling for him.

Does he behave normally?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, fin rot, fungal infection, popeye