Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #1 
Antje

tank, filter, heater etc.

Hi,

when I made my first posts here I said, I would think about switching to tanks, if I had the feeling, that the girls were not doing well. I would say, that is the case now. Dali's fins are not looking good and it's getting too cold. I'm heating the whole house now to keep the fish warm, while we are sitting here in T-shirts...

So, after reading the threads (the older and newer ones), I looked up the following equipment and I would like to ask you, if these things would go well together and if there is anything else, I forgot. I would love to not have to exchange a lot of things, because I did that with 50% of the things for the bowls already, that's why I'm asking..... So, here it comes:

Tank:

I found 2. Do you know, if I can reach in the tank or if the cover is easy removable? Are the light bulbs ok or are they too close to the water and are they getting too hot?

Aquarium Starter Kits: MiniBow 2.5 Starter Aquarium Kit

all-glass, bright colors, with whisper filter 3 stage filtration, light bulb 15 watt $27,19

or

All-Glass Aquarium Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit at PETCO

all-glass, black, air pump, undergravel filter, 15 watt lamp $15.99

Filter:

If the undergravel filter is not too great, I could buy this filter instead:

Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

$11.99
Would that be a good filter? Is that maybe the same one that comes with the first tank?
They also sell the filter cartridge.

Heater:

I found 2, because I read in some threads, that 10 watt heater would be ok, others said 25 watt would be good. Would they fit in the tank, do they have a thermostat (I'm not sure, if I understood the description well), any other ideas?

Aquarium Heaters: Hydor Theo Heater

25 watt 14,39

or would this one be better:

Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Marineland Shatterproof Heater

10 watt $19.99

Thermometer:

Hagen Thermometers
$2.39

Test kit:

Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
API $21.99

Cleaning:

What would be a good way to clean a 2,5 gal tank and what would I need for that?

I use the top fin betta water conditioner and spring water.

decoration:

I would get more stones and plants. I actually find it difficult to find good silk plants in the stores.

cycle:

I'll read the aquarium cycle info, when I have everything, but I guess, I'll still have to get back to you for that..........

Anything else I need to do?
Thanks for your help, it's a long post again, I know....!
Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #2 
Arlie

hi
I just bought and set up the 2nd 2.5gal tank on your list, all glass mini bow Betta aquarium. All glass is a joke.
I found the air pump flow to be way too strong for the size of the tank and my one male Betta was fighting to stay in one place. It also swirled his food away so fast he did not even see it on the water.
There is really not a water filter with any changeable filter. Just the air pump circulating air bubbles into the water and pulling the junk through the gravel into the bottom of the tank under the grid.
If I had a choice I would go for the first aquarium you have on your list.
Also I just looked up that Shatter Proof mini heater by marineland also. It looks good to me but I have asked on another thread about it. Try google search for it as I found better prices. One place online for it is Pet Mountain $14.49 but shipping to me is almost $9.00.

Looks like we have been looking for the same things. I would like to hear your review of any of them you decide to buy and use.
Arlie8)
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #3 
Antje

I almost thought, that the second one was the tank you were talking about in your thread, but wasn't 100% sure. Since this one is on sale now, I could get it plus the good filter for about the same price as the first one, if that filter wasn't as good as the single one.
Thanks for the tip with the heater. I'm still not sure though, if 10 or 25 watt are better.
Yes, I'll let you know and maybe you can keep me posted as well?
Antje

all-glass really is a misleading name in this case....
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #4 
daisycutter

i would go witth the all glass just on the basis of it being glass im my experence plastic tanks scratch way to easy and you end up with a "frosted" tank
daisycutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #5 
jeaninel

For your heater 3-5 watts per gallon is the norm. The 10 watt heater should do fine.

Also, you may want to think about switching out the incandescent light bulb for a fluorescent one. The incandescent put out a lot of heat and may make the tank too hot. Fluorescents runs much cooler.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #6 
Arlie

hi Antje
Sorry not to be clear about which tank I have it is this one:All-Glass Aquarium Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit at PETCO

The second link you posted, the All Glass make.
I found an Auqarium store near me that carries the
Shatter Proof mini heater by marineland for apx.$22.00 which is what it would cost online when the S/H was added. So I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see if it is the one I have been looking at online. I rather buy from a store here than online incase there is a problem and it has to be returned.
I also hope to get an air flow regulator so I dont have to use a clothes pin on the plastic air hose, a tempory fix.
As for the All Glass , yes misleading. I went to buy that tank thinking it was ALL glass then found that was just the Brand name.
My Betta seems happy and the the light is keeping the water about 72' during the day but I turn that off at night and it will, someday I hope,cool off here in So.California and a heater will be needed. Right now I'm wrapping a thick towel around the tank at bedtime to keep the heat in the water. Good thing this fish is so cute as he is a lot
of work and it has only been 2 weeks haha,
Thank you jeaninel for the hint on the light bulb change, sounds like a good idea once I have a heater in the tank.
Arlie

Last edited by Arlie; 11-12-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #7 
Antje

hi Arlie,

so you'll leave the undergravel filter in and just try to find something to control the bubbles, did I understand that right? Do you think one could just exchange this filter with the whisper filter? I hope I have enough time tomorrow to go to the store so I can actually look at the things and get a better idea of everything. Although I rather buy in the store, too, I didn't get very far, when I went there with my first list about 2 months ago, when I just got the girls. Half of the stuff they didn't have or gave me wrong information etc.. That's why I'm glad I found this website.
Let me know, if you like the heater.

What's your betta's name?

Ok, just added the light bulb to the list. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #8 
iamntbatman

Do you have more than one betta? If so, I would definitely think about getting a single larger tank with a divider. It will save you a lot of money as well as provide a more stable environment for your fish. You could get a 5.5 or even 10 gallon tank for about the same money as you're spending on each of those 2.5g setups.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #9 
Arlie

hi Antje
Take a look at this tank kit and it was reccommened on this board.
Eclipse System 3 Aquarium by Marineland - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart
I saw one of these at Petco and it looks like Pet Smart carries it too. Sounds like a good filter built in but dont know if the flow is adjustable. You would still need a heater.
It is hard to find the items, seems each store has one and you have to check all over town to get it all together. I wish I had taken more time and done more research, like this website, before buying anything.
As for tank size I only had a space big enough for now for a 2 1/2 to 3 gal. aquarium. I only plan on having one Betta but I bet everyone says that.
Arlie

Last edited by Arlie; 11-13-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #10 
iamntbatman

The Eclipse 3 is a nice tank, but like I said, you can get a much larger one for about the same price. Petsmart sells a 10g tank for about $11. All you'd need to get the same stuff that the Eclipse tank has is a glass canopy like this one (the 20" version fits on a standard 10g tank):
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Versa-Tops

And a filter like this one (the 10I):
Aquarium Filters: Whisper In-Tank Filters

Plus a cheapo strip light from Home Depot for under $10.

It comes to about the same price but is more than three times the size. More water volume means a more stable tank and a happier fish.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote