Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #11 
Laki

I'd say the snails caused the shrimp to die :( Unfortunately mystery snails and pond are among the highest bioload in terms of snails. And if the water was murky from cuttlebone plus cucumber.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Is it okay to leave their bodies in there (that sounds so sad ) or should I try to fish them out for the health of the snails? I know snails eat dead and decaying fish, shrimp are the same right? Okay... so I feel really super bad now. I looked up all about their care, but did not find anything about the water parameters. I figured they were hardier.

ETA: Sorry about kinda hijacking the threat here. This is my last question I promise.
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #13 
Laki

Ghost shrimp are not hardy at all. I thought that too when I bought mine. Red Cherry Shrimp and Amano Shrimp make better pets and are actually a lot hardier.

Anything dead in the tank will raise the ammonia and nitrite. If you want to leave the bodies in for the snails (I wouldn't) then you'll have to change at least half the water today and then again in a day or so.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Okay thanks. I just have no idea where they could possibly be. I can not even see to the back of the tank since putting that cuttle bone in there. On top of that, I have a ton of places for them to hide in plants and rock caves, etc.. they could've easily gone anywhere to hide and die.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #15 
Sea Dragon

Aww I'm sorry about your shrimp :( And I guess it's generally frowned upon but I don't mind if people use my thread to ask questions lol.

Thanks for the info Laki! My shrimp are fortunately doing well. I decided to just have two for my tank and my new girl enjoys chasing them for short distances. I'm confident they'll be fine however since it's a NPT with plenty of hiding places.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #16 
Laki

Yay! I'm glad :)
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dragon View Post
Aww I'm sorry about your shrimp :( And I guess it's generally frowned upon but I don't mind if people use my thread to ask questions lol.

Thanks for the info Laki! My shrimp are fortunately doing well. I decided to just have two for my tank and my new girl enjoys chasing them for short distances. I'm confident they'll be fine however since it's a NPT with plenty of hiding places.
Thanks! I don't typically hijack threads. I also don't mind if people do it to mine, just as long as it's still on topic. I'm glad yours are doing good. Maybe I'll get lucky and when I clean the tank tonight, I'll find them hiding somewhere alive. I had one little one last night swimming laps, but he/she quit once I cleaned the tank. I never saw them again.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #18 
Sea Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Thanks! I don't typically hijack threads. I also don't mind if people do it to mine, just as long as it's still on topic. I'm glad yours are doing good. Maybe I'll get lucky and when I clean the tank tonight, I'll find them hiding somewhere alive. I had one little one last night swimming laps, but he/she quit once I cleaned the tank. I never saw them again.
Unless you find their bodies, I think theres still a hope they're alive since shrimp are experts at hiding :)

Of course, the place you found them at may also be a factor. Some stores sell them as pets rather than feeders and they tend to take care of them better, like at my local Petco where they keep a few shrimp in 5-10 gallons of water with tannins and peaceful nerites/neons
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #19 
Laki

Actually, you wanna talk about expert hiders? I just put 2 of my RCS in the betta tank last night and I couldn't find them today but no evidence they were dead. I saw one once for like a minute just a few hours ago.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #20 
Artemis

DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT

1. Do ghost shrimp eat diatoms? I found some darkish mass in her digestive tract and that's either my driftwood, diatoms, or my still dying bacopa.
Mine go absolutely INSANE for betta pellets
2. If so, can I rely on them to get their plant nutrition from the dead leaves/algae in my tank or should I supplement with wafers/fresh veggies for maximum shrimp happiness? Which veggies would you recommend? (I already supplement her with my omega pellets for animal protein)
I try to supplement with some bits and pieces of Hikari Bottom Feeder Wafers and they like it some but they prefer the pellets. My juvi eats only algae though.
3. Do they eat detritus worms?
No, they don't mess with live food very much
4. What about baby pond snails/snail eggs?
No. Eggs is possible but not likely
5. The girl I got has been clinging to her eggs for four days now. Is she going to eat those eventually?
No. They hold eggs for around 3-4 weeks. If they are green, she has a while to go. Once they become clear with little black dots (eyes) they have about 5 days left until they hatch.
6. I want to get two more shrimpies. Is there a recommended gender ratio like guppies? Not that I want to breed them or anything, I just don't want two males hounding down my female constantly.
No. They are fine with a mix. The females collect eggs and will only release and then grab onto them if they are ready. No need to worry or strain yourself with trying to sex them
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote