Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 
amzingaly

Angry petco rant

I went to petco today just to look at the bettas. Well that was a bad idea because i wanted to take all the bettas home with me. The majority of the bettas were in pretty bed shape:(. This one little female caught my eye and the poor thing was so skinny i wanted to take her home but I don't have room for more than one betta unfortunately. I hate how petco takes..or doesn't take.. care of their bettas. Also it drives me MAD when i hear one of the employees telling customers wrong information. The employee in petco today told a women that she can put a divider in a half gallon bowl and have 2 bettas in that one teeny bowl.. NO!
Just my rant for the day

Here is a pic of the poor girl i wanted to take home today:
Attached Images

amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

Poor thing. :( I had a similar experience in Petsmart today. The store manager told me I didn't need a heater for my bettas, and I corrected her right away. Cut her off and corrected her. I wish I worked at Petsmart, so I could give the right information. :(

I went by the betta section too, and the condition of the girls saddened me, and all the boys looked miserable. The dragonscales all had fin rot, one marble halfmoon had some kind of parasite, I believe, and all the others looked half dead or miserable. It makes me so sad. If I could, I would have picked up the marble. He was beautiful. I don't think I'd be able to save him though. :( Poor guy.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 
amzingaly

Most of the fish at this petco looked half dead too or had some pretty bad fin rot. One fish had holes in his fins he looked like swiss cheese. These poor fish are so beautiful, if only people actually learned how to care for them..
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

It's so sad. :( I wrote a review on the heater I just got on the Petsmart website, and at the bottom, it had a space to write a review of the store itself, so I complained about the betta care and how I will no longer shop there for my fish. I'll happily drive twenty minutes to go to my LFS than go to Petsmart, even though it's right up the road.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 
amzingaly

Good attitude :). Everytime i see those tiny "betta bowls" online i feel the need to write how inappropriate they are for any fish to live in.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Me too. It's really sad. When I saw the conditions of the bettas, I was going to tell the employee something, but their cups actually looked pretty clean, so I guess I couldn't complain. I guess they just cleaned them or something.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #7 
TeteRouge

I think it depends on the store, too. There are 8 Petcos here, and there are 2 I go to that do take care of their bettas reasonably well. Water always looks clean, never see any fin rot. And the staff in both of them "knew" the betta I got there, lol. I'm sure it depends on having a real aquarist/ enthusiast in a position to do something. I can't speak for the other stores. I try to give positive feedback, though, if they do something right.

Petsmart finally got Bettas out of the blue water, but they don't look as good, still in dirtyish cups...

Last edited by TeteRouge; 03-23-2013 at 05:37 PM.
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote