Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #11 
Antje

Yes, I have two, but one of them has something going on with her fins and I don't want to take the risk of contaminating the other one, in case it is fin rot. Their fins just had grown back so nicely, after they were damaged, because I had them together in 1 bowl for 20 Min..... When I do water changes and the bowls are standing not even close to each other, both fish get really nervous and I always have to put something in between.
And I actually still looked for a bigger glass tank in the beginning, but the dividers were only for +10 gal, And they didn't seem to be very sturdy. The store just ran out of lids and all of the sudden there were so many extra things, I needed to buy. And all in all the people there weren't very helpful and I was overwhelmed and left with nothing. If I go there again, I have to know exactly, what I want, otherwise I'll go and exchange 3 times or more.... From what I was reading, I feel quite comfi with these two starter kits, because they come with a lot of things and I know, what I still need to get and what I need to change (at least I think I know...). Although it's more expensive, that's true. I have to take a look in the store.

Oh, I still don't really know how and how often I would clean 2,5 or bigger tanks.

One more question: wouldn't the side with the heater be warmer, than the other, if I had a divider in the tank or would that be just a minimal difference?

Antje
Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #12 
Antje

Would the heater be the same marineland one?

If I have the filter, the heater and the lamp in or at or right above the tank, can I still close the lid?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 AM   #13 
Antje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie View Post
hi Antje
It is hard to find the items, seems each store has one and you have to check all over town to get it all together.

Yes, that's what I fear is going to happen....

I wish I had taken more time and done more research, like this website, before buying anything.
Arlie
Exactly. But we'll find a way. In my case the only question is "when"?....
Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #14 
iamntbatman

The glass canopy has a rubberized hinge so that you can open the front to access the tank for feeding and water changes. The glass part of the canopy only covers the front 3/4ths or so of the tank. A plastic strip runs along the back to cover the back 1/4th or so, and you can cut parts of this plastic away to allow room for your filters, cords, air hoses, etc etc. You can also lay the strip light right on top of the glass part behind the hinge. Provided you got a divider with plenty of holes in it so that water could move through, the temperature throughout the tank should be pretty even.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #15 
Arlie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
The glass canopy has a rubberized hinge so that you can open the front to access the tank for feeding and water changes. The glass part of the canopy only covers the front 3/4ths or so of the tank. A plastic strip runs along the back to cover the back 1/4th or so, and you can cut parts of this plastic away to allow room for your filters, cords, air hoses, etc etc. You can also lay the strip light right on top of the glass part behind the hinge. Provided you got a divider with plenty of holes in it so that water could move through, the temperature throughout the tank should be pretty even.
Hi
Well i went to a different Aquarium store and the man there, the owner, seemed to know what he was talking about and agreed with most of what I read here on the boards.
He said that for 2gals of water and one Betta the air pump/air stone ,under-gravel filter should be fine and that I should vacuum the gravel once a month, after letting it set for 2 months to develop the bio system. I bought that Marineland mini submersible shatterproof heater and an air controller valve to cut down the current in the tank (it works great and for 90c.
I'll let you know about the heater after I install and see how it does for a couple of days. Also he told me to change about 1/3 of the water every
couple of weeks, im not too sure about that one from what I have seen on here.
This store had some really nice looking female Bettas. I cant do another tank right now, no space, but if my male Betta don't make it I may just switch to the females and can have 3 or so in the tank.
Is that a good idea?
Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #16 
Antje

Ok, I went to petco today and it seemed to me, that it would become about the same price, if I bought everything extra (and they didn't have everything I need). I wasn't too convinced about the 2.5g thing, BUT I saw a quite nice 10g aquarium kit for $60:

Petsr4u - All-Glass 10 Gallon Freshwater Deluxe Kit, Aquarium Kits

It comes with:
- fluorescent light hood and 15w bulb
- whisper 10 power filter and cartridge
- 50w UL listed aquarium heater
- external aquarium thermometer (the sales lady said, she uses them and they were accurate. I think you tape it on the outside?)
- lid
- the tank is from all-glass, but it really is glass this time...
- nylon fish net
- water cond. etc.

I just would need the test kit and a divider.

Does that sound good? The tank isn't even that big, I can't believe that 10g water should fit in there.

The only problem now is Dali's fin situation. The sales lady offered to take a look at her tomorrow and gave me a cup to bring her in, but I don't think that's a good idea, but I will show her the pictures I made. I will post them here in the other thread, as soon as I can download them.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #17 
Antje

Hi Arlie,
in your tank, how did you install your heater? I looked at the other tank from my list that doesn't have the undergravel filter and I thought, there was no space left in/under the lid for a heater. The tank wasn't fully assembled, but I looked at the picture and the pieces and I couldn't even tell where I could put the pellets in. Do you have more space under the lid in your tank?
How happy are you with the plastic?

Last edited by Antje; 11-13-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:26 AM   #18 
iamntbatman

Antje-
That 10 gallon kit sounds pretty good to me. All of that stuff would total up to about $60 if you bought it separately. So long as the Whisper filter has an adjustable flow rate and the heater has a fully adjustable thermostat, I say go for it. Also, a standard 10g tank is 20" long by 10" deep by 12" tall, just so you know you aren't being tricked into buying a smaller tank.

Arlie:
I would do water changes at least weekly. A 2.5g tank will build up nitrates fairly quickly so water changes must be done pretty often to keep water quality high. I would also never vacuum all of the gravel at once; it's better to vacuum part of your gravel during every water change. This keeps the gravel pretty clean but also prevents you from removing all of your beneficial bacteria from your gravel bed during one big, thorough cleaning and thus causing a mini-cycle.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #19 
Arlie

Cool water heater for tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
hi Arlie,

so you'll leave the under gravel filter in and just try to find something to control the bubbles, did I understand that right? Do you think one could just exchange this filter with the whisper filter? I hope I have enough time tomorrow to go to the store so I can actually look at the things and get a better idea of everything. Although I rather buy in the store, too, I didn't get very far, when I went there with my first list about 2 months ago, when I just got the girls. Half of the stuff they didn't have or gave me wrong information etc.. That's why I'm glad I found this website.
Let me know, if you like the heater.

What's your betta's name?

Ok, just added the light bulb to the list. Thanks!
Hi Antje
My Betta's name is Bow for rainbow but I am thinking of changing it to Curious George as he has to be right in the middle of anything I'm doing in his tank, checking it out.

I installed the Marineland mini heater listed in the other posts. It held the water temp. at 78' yesterday, this AM it was at 74'-76'. I put the tank lamp on but it is so hot here in LA today, 79' just in the house, that the water temp. was climbing due to the hood lamp, so shut off the light.

I emailed Marineland customer help with some ?? about the heater and they said the heater does have an internal thermostat so when the water gets too hot it will shut off.
Bow seems very happy now in his warm bath water. hehe He is very young and small I think after looking at other Bettas in the aquarium shops.
The owner of the Aquarium store said the filter that came with the tank should do fine for only one fish. I put an air flow valve in the air line between the pump and the air stone in the water and now the flow is just fine.
Arlie
Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #20 
Arlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
Antje-
That 10 gallon kit sounds pretty good to me. All of that stuff would total up to about $60 if you bought it separately. So long as the Whisper filter has an adjustable flow rate and the heater has a fully adjustable thermostat, I say go for it. Also, a standard 10g tank is 20" long by 10" deep by 12" tall, just so you know you aren't being tricked into buying a smaller tank.

Arlie:
I would do water changes at least weekly. A 2.5g tank will build up nitrates fairly quickly so water changes must be done pretty often to keep water quality high. I would also never vacuum all of the gravel at once; it's better to vacuum part of your gravel during every water change. This keeps the gravel pretty clean but also prevents you from removing all of your beneficial bacteria from your gravel bed during one big, thorough cleaning and thus causing a mini-cycle.
Hi
Yeah I agree on the weekly water change for my small tank. I think the aquarium store owner was thinking of a larger one. I see that I will still need a vacuum for the gravel ,and a test kit which I forgot to buy, and try your way of partial gravel cleaning after it sits for a while. Two months does sound too long to let the gravel sit.

I placed the heater inside the tank on the glass with suction cups right behind the tube with the air hose and stone. This tank only has one opening in the hood in the back corner so had to put it there and the stick on thermometer is on the outside of the glass on that corner as well.

It is so hard to know what is right to do but I am going to trust the Senior members of this board's expierence and stick with your kind help.

Believe me I would go with a 10gal tank in a flash but I just dont have space for one right now.
Forgot to say: as for the plastic, I noticed scratches just from my installing the parts and gravel, glass is heavier but probably better in the long run.
Arlie

Last edited by Arlie; 11-14-2008 at 06:31 PM.