Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #1 
SilverTail

Question Something is wrong..

Hey guys.

Something is wrong with my betta Nox, but I don't know what is it could be, I have never seen a fish act this way... It's almost as if he is choking. He has been really low energy recently and not eating much but I cant see any spots or anything on him.

He seems to be breathing a little hard though and when I went to feed him this evening he started swimming really fast and almost like, thrashing and gulping/popping at the surface before he swam off again and seems alright now. I did a water change just yesterday so I dont think my water quality is bad..?
He hadn't gotten anything to eat yet either, I opened the lid and he suddenly came shooting over and was doing it.

It is a bad description, sorry but I didn't really understand what I was seeing. He seems to sit at the top in one spot and not move.

If anyone has any idea on what this might be or what I can do to help him I would really appreciate it..
SilverTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you see condensation on the sides of your tank? If not, you can put some plastic food wrap (Saran wrap) over the top of the tank. Make sure there's at several inches of air though, so he can breathe! This will increase the humidity, and might make it easier for him to breathe.

Have you added or changed anything in the tank? New water conditioner, decorations, gravel, etc? Can you think of anything that might be affecting the water quality? What about the water temperature?

Also, could you fill out the form below, so that people have more information? (Put N/A on anything that you don't know.)

Quote:
Hello,

In order to allow other members to help you as best they can, please answer as many of the following questions as you can when requesting advice.

Please copy the portion of this post below into your post, answer the questions you can, and put N/A beside the questions you cannot answer.

Thank you,
The BettaFish.com Team

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

This is going to sound like somthing you might not want to hear, but this is what my betta did when i first put alcohol/clove oil in the water.

My advice, check the water parameters and put him in new water.

it sounds like a water quality issue to me.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I would try doing a water change. maybe something got into the tank and is upsetting him or maybe you forgot to ad the conditioner.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 
SilverTail

Alright I will maybe look at doing another water change, but I just did one on wednesday. I put in Stress Coat in it cause I had noticed him acting weird and like, whole pieces of pellets coming out of his gill. I am planning to put him on iso soon if he doesn't perk up. The weird thing is if it was water I would assume that it would have been affecting my other betta who is in the tank with him (seperated by a barrier of course) but he is acting totally normal...

Yea there is condensation in my tank, the water temperature is about 80F. I can't do a check right now cause I haven't been able to get into town to get a new kit.

I did however, find some very odd red stuff in where my panda coreys are... I have no idea what that stuff was but maybe it is throwing off the water..

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I will do another water change and put him into an iso tank maybe so I can do more changes without it hurting my pandas.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi SilverTail. Hmm.

It could very well be a water quality issue as the others are saying but I'm also concerned about the possibility of gill flukes interfering with his ability to breathe properly. Some gill flukes can get pretty large in comparison to their host.

If you can, I would isolate Nox in a hospital tank and try this treatment: 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon and increase the heat to 86 F.

The salt encourages the production of slime coat which will help Nox to rid himself of the parasites. The heat shortens their life cycle drastically. During this treatment, it's important to change the water once a day, completely, and renew the salt. This gets rid of any parasites that have fallen off Nox into the water before they can reattach.

Try this treatment for a week and see if it helps. Otherwise, an alternative but less desireable route would be a proprietary parasite med.

Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #7 
SilverTail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi SilverTail. Hmm.

It could very well be a water quality issue as the others are saying but I'm also concerned about the possibility of gill flukes interfering with his ability to breathe properly. Some gill flukes can get pretty large in comparison to their host.

If you can, I would isolate Nox in a hospital tank and try this treatment: 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon and increase the heat to 86 F.

The salt encourages the production of slime coat which will help Nox to rid himself of the parasites. The heat shortens their life cycle drastically. During this treatment, it's important to change the water once a day, completely, and renew the salt. This gets rid of any parasites that have fallen off Nox into the water before they can reattach.

Try this treatment for a week and see if it helps. Otherwise, an alternative but less desireable route would be a proprietary parasite med.

Good luck!
Alright I will try that I think, he seemed a little more interested in food today but still seems really off.. should I be treating my other betta too? Like are they contageous or should he be alright without the treatment?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Gill flukes are contagious, yes. So if you think you may have cross-contaminated, it would be a good idea to treat your other betta as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #9 
SilverTail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Gill flukes are contagious, yes. So if you think you may have cross-contaminated, it would be a good idea to treat your other betta as well.
Alright, thank you for letting me know. He seems to be acting normal and not breathing funny but I will keep a really close eye on him too just incase.

One more question for you lol (sorry about so many questions, I dont know a lot about flukes), how could he have caught it? I have 2 panda coreys and a snail in the tank also, would one of them be carrying it or something? So I can try to avoid this happening again

Thank you so much for your help
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Hi SilverTail.

Well, all fish naturally have small amounts of parasites and bacteria present on and in their bodies at all times. 99% of the time, this never causes a problem and we the owners never know the fish has these critters. But if for some reason the fish's immune system becomes compromised, it is often enough of an opening for the parasites and bacteria to multiply and start causing a problem.

Most likely your panda cories have some gill flukes present on their bodies but as long as they stay healthy and unstressed, the flukes will never be a problem.

You could treat proactively treat the cories with 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon for a week but this isn't necessary. The snail . . . I don't know too much about snails and whether or not they can transmit gill flukes. I know they can transmit some bacteria and parasites but I'm not sure which ones. If the snail is a real concern, he'll have to be isolated because there's no way to treat him. Snails are very sensitive to most of the medications used to treat fish.