Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

The nerve of some people! And new heater :D

Thank God Petsmart let me take the faulty one back!

I was using a Top Fin 25 watt heater in Tiny Tina's tank. Patriot has one too, but no problems with his. Tiny Tina's made the water smell like rubber and it was cloudy, even after a week of constant water changes. I returned it for a full refund of store credit, so I bought an Aqueon heater instead. However, this one is 100 watts.

I'll be getting a 10 gallon later this week, I hope, so I got the 100 watt in preparation, while it's still on sale. Right now, I have it in Tiny Tina's tank. I did a water change to get rid of the rubber smell and the cloudiness, and put in the new heater. I have it set at 75 right now, so hopefully it'll be okay.

There was a chart on the back of the box that had recommendations for what sizes to get. It said for a 10 gallon, to get a 50 watt, if you want the water to be easily heated 5 to 10 degrees above room temperature. It said to get a 100 watt for 15 degrees above room temperature. My room is usually pretty chilly, since our house heater is kinda not functioning properly. So I thought maybe the 100 would be the best idea. Hopefully it won't cook her though! It's in a 3 gallon right now, so I'm going to monitor it today, to make sure it stays at what I set it to. For now, Tina's floating in Patriot's tank.

It seems to be working so far. I filled it with cold water, so right now it's heating it. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and make sure it does what it's supposed to, so I don't have to bring it back.

Anyway, now time for the story! I called Petsmart and asked if they would take the heater back, and they said sure. So I brought it in, got my store credit, and went off to the heater section to find a new one that isn't Top Fin brand.

The MANAGER came up to me and asked if she could help me, and I was like "I'm looking for a heater. The one I had was nasty and upset my fish, so I want to get a different brand. It's between the 50 watt or the 100 watt, but the 100 watt is cheaper than the 50 watt, so I think I'll just get this one. Besides, it says for 15 degrees above room temperature, to get a 100 watt. I usually keep my tanks at 82 degrees, so I think it might be best." She said that the temperature was way too high, and then asked what kind of fish it was. I told her it was a betta, and she said that they don't really need heaters! I was just like "Yeah, they do. I'll just get this one. It's cheaper," and thanked her for her "help" before going to the cashier to buy the heater.

I kinda expected someone to say they didn't need heaters, but oh well. I got what I wanted anyway. I WAS going to get some Seachem Flourish and maybe pick up a plant or two, then go to Walmart to get a light bulb, but I didn't have enough money after I bought the heater. I was thinking about maybe getting the Betta Buffet pellets, but they only had the flakes. :( They like the marine pellets anyway. Patriot nearly attacks me for them, and Tina's starting to like them more. She's a little picky, but she's been eating them lately. I sneak one or two in after I feed her one of the AquaCulture ones. x3 Sneaky sneaky. She doesn't suspect a thing.

I'm hoping I can get the 10 gallon soon! I'm going to attempt making a divider, and then I'll get working on cycling the tank. I still need more money. Dx I wanna get plants and I need a test kit... I hate being so broke and being a college bound student. No moneys for the fishiessssss.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I don't understand why a retailer would try to talk you out of buying something...not without trying to get you to buy something else, anyway. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Doesn't make sense to me either. I would tell the customers that bettas DO need heaters so they would buy one and this give the store more money, rather than tell customers that the fish don't need them. I don't get it.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 
Fishy Mom

You should have asked why they sell those small heaters in the betta section called....wait for it...Marina Betta Mini Heaters, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I should have, but I didn't think of it at the time. xD I was just there to get my heater and go.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

See this as chance to educate. Please mail a 2 care sheets for bettas along with a picture of your happy bettas in their tank ASAP. One for the manager and one with asking the manager to give to the fish care people to read. Describe your shopping experience. In your note remind the manager that bettas are tropical fish. You can state not only will it be better for the bettas to sell a heater and bigger and a bigger tank but it will be better for their profit margin and you will check the next time you shop there you will see more knowledgable care advice about bettas. I've seen the petsmart care sheets for bettas and they are just WRONG! We can educate one store at a time.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

That's a good idea! I'll start writing it right away. I really don't get why they don't recommend better tanks and stuff. They recommend bigger tanks for all the other fish, so why not the bettas? Each fish has a tag thing that says the care level, temperature it's supposed to be in, level of aggression, and minimum tank size. Bettas should have one of those too!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Great let us know if you get any feedback on it! My latest thought that I am going use when I am shopping is to show video of my fish in their tanks on a cellphone and start showing it to anyone in the store who will watch and listen and talk about what proper is. I also have pictures of recent fish that looked pale white when I brought him home and is now has almost no white on him. In three days he was back to his normal self. I will load those on my phone too. Proper care makes all the diffence!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

It really does. When my sister first started fish keeping, she had a betta. Petsmart told her how to "take care of it" and she believed them. Rarely cleaned the one gallon tank, fed one to two pellets a day, and didn't have a heater for him. He died, needless to say. That's when she did research and found out how to properly take care of them, then she started over with a bigger tank and a new fish, and a heater.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

"Oh, they hate big tanks!" Really? Explain to me how my girls are colourful, healthy and full of beans in my 16 gallon...?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote