Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #11 
Roemgie
Member
 
Roemgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Your water is yellow because you need to float driftwood in a seperate bucket for at least a week to release the tannins. <- I think they are called that.
Aww man....It was saying that I could float it in my tank or in a container (at least the tiny drift wood)....what do I do now?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #12 
Roemgie
Member
 
Roemgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Your water is yellow because you need to float driftwood in a seperate bucket for at least a week to release the tannins. <- I think they are called that.
Ok I finally got some thing to hold it for the next week. I just did a water change of not too much (I would love to be able to save my cycle!) I am hopeful I don't need to start all over again??
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #13 
Roemgie
Member
 
Roemgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
The Asian Water Fern is sort of an aquatic plant. It is a really slow grower and can be a bit difficult. If it is not planted correctly or does not get the needed attention, it will go away quick.

I have two bunches in mine. Part of me wants to rip them out and replace them with something more common. But my betta seems to have taken a liking to hiding/resting under them from time to time.
Well then lol it may not be lasting long with me! I have to admit there were a few plants in my 10 gallon I moved to my cycled 5 and they really have started growing MUCH better so I'm very happy :)
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #14 
pyro fiend
Member
 
pyro fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: north west MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
Ok I finally got some thing to hold it for the next week. I just did a water change of not too much (I would love to be able to save my cycle!) I am hopeful I don't need to start all over again??
nope no need to start over the tannis is fine. some fish like it and it wont harm your plants from what i understand its a good thing yet a ugly thing lol.

you can also boil the wood to get rid of it. for my wood i had to boil it quite a few times,my first boil looked ike i made a big pot of brown gravy lol, till its nice and clear. if you dont like the yellow your tank will get rid of it as im sure the filter pads are new. the activated carbon will draw it out in due time.
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
With the asian water fern (Bolbitis) I would put it somewhere nice and comfy and where you will forget about it. it likes nothing more than peace and quiet during it's transition to its submerged form. maybe in a month or two you'll remember it again and it'll be a whole new plant XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #16 
Roemgie
Member
 
Roemgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
nope no need to start over the tannis is fine. some fish like it and it wont harm your plants from what i understand its a good thing yet a ugly thing lol.

you can also boil the wood to get rid of it. for my wood i had to boil it quite a few times,my first boil looked ike i made a big pot of brown gravy lol, till its nice and clear. if you dont like the yellow your tank will get rid of it as im sure the filter pads are new. the activated carbon will draw it out in due time.
Ok that's good to hear! I did a little bit of a water change (partly because some of the leaves from my plants had fallen off). And I've now moved my drift wood to a little container and I filled it up with super hot water and I'm just letting it sit there and I'm changing the water every day until it starts not being so brown! But that's great to hear that it doesn't harm fish!

It is a really huge piece (bigger than I thought!) and I don't have anything big enough to boil it :/ so hopefully this will work out well!
And yeah it's been about 2-3 weeks now for my cycling and I have a little sponge filter
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #17 
Roemgie
Member
 
Roemgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
With the asian water fern (Bolbitis) I would put it somewhere nice and comfy and where you will forget about it. it likes nothing more than peace and quiet during it's transition to its submerged form. maybe in a month or two you'll remember it again and it'll be a whole new plant XD
Wait do you mean just take it out of the tank?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Tank cycling/live plants MarcusTheGreat Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 03-09-2012 05:36 PM
10 gallon cycling: plants or no plants n3wport Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 06-17-2011 05:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.